Valve ID (Identifying my Valves)

Apr 14, 2011
Hello All,

This seems like a good place to start my journey on maintaining my new pool. I moved into a house with an existing 6-10 year old in ground pool.

-AO Smith SQ1152 1.5HP
-15K Gal
-Jandy JS100-SM Sand Filter
-Pop Ups
-In Ground
-Pebble

I am trying to identify all my valves as the existing markings have since come off. I have made out a few but would still like some input on my particular setup and ideal settings (please see below picture).

I have figured out most of the inner workings of the pool and my valves. But, what has troubled me is the vacuum intake line on the side of the pool. I have been trying to get suction to vacuum the ground of my pool as it is very dirty. This hose line on the side of the pool has threads in it and seems to run into leaf catcher skimmer type thing in another access hole next to my skimmers top entrance.

I appreciate all the help in identifying these valves to better my luck in getting suction. And of course look forward to some great help here on the forum.

Thanks

*****UPDATED 4/15
Here are some requested pics of skimmer and other access hole thing.

Looks like you have a skimmer and main drain(s) pulling equally from the pump. You may have to shut off the MD completely to get enough suction through the suction wall fitting. You may also have to adjust the skimmer to pull from this port. Post a pic of the skimmer and the vacuum port and basket.

kntdookoo said:
Hello All,

This seems like a good place to start my journey on maintaining my new pool. I moved into a house with an existing 6-10 year old in ground pool.

-AO Smith SQ1152 1.5HP
-15K Gal
-Jandy JS100-SM Sand Filter
-Pop Ups
-In Ground
-Pebble

I am trying to identify all my valves as the existing markings have since come off. I have made out a few but would still like some input on my particular setup and ideal settings (please see below picture).

I have figured out most of the inner workings of the pool and my valves. But, what has troubled me is the vacuum intake line on the side of the pool. I have been trying to get suction to vacuum the ground of my pool as it is very dirty. This hose line on the side of the pool has threads in it and seems to run into leaf catcher skimmer type thing in another access hole next to my skimmers top entrance.

I appreciate all the help in identifying these valves to better my luck in getting suction. And of course look forward to some great help here on the forum.

Thanks
Welcome to TFP! :wave:
On your picture you have an arrow labeled as aerator, is that pointing to the blue hose or the valve behind the hose? If it is pointing to the blue hose do you have the hose going in to the pool to aerate the pool? I think the blue hose is connected to the backwash port of the filter and that is used to drain off the debri in the filter. Just a thought.
:cheers:

The Aerator labled arrow is pointing at the valve. The blue hose runs to the side of yard so I assume that is for backwash. Also, keep in mind I did my best to read the old markings on these valves though most not so legible. So, they may be incorrect.

See updated pics above of skimmer basket (which has no hole in the bottom for a hose, and other access hole thing with a locked clear turny thing)

First if you take the Equalizer assembly (donut thing) in the bottom of the skimmer out you will see two holes.
One of those goes directly to the pump suction. Usually the back one.
Looking at the pictures it appears you have a Paddock pool, and your infloor is a PCC 2000.
The other thing is a debris containment canister.Here is a link that shows it.http://www.paramountpoolproducts.com/products/pcc/
So the pump connects to the bottom of that, then there is a port that connects to a funny looking single drain at the bottom of the pool, and that port in the side probably connects to that same drain, as a safety. Though it should have a drain cover over it. Now their

Let me know how I did with my speculation.

Welcome to TFP!!

I think the other posters have given you a good idea of what you're dealing with :goodjob:

I see from the pics (THANKS for the pics :cool: ) that you have an iron issue in your water :cry: If you start a new post, on the iron issue, our stain experts will help you with it :-D

Thanks to all for your posts. I will definately start a new thread in regards to the iron. What exactly did you see in my pics that showed you I have such a problem?

Also, anymore ideas on how to get my vacuum working. 2 posts back it was mentioned to take out the equalizer. I did. There are two ports underneath. Can I vacuum directly into that?

Welcome to TFP!!

Just-a-PB said:
Yes one of those pipes goes directly to the pump so you can attach the vac there.

You can certainly do that, but it's better to have something to catch the larger debris :cool: They make 'covers' that go over the skimmer basket and accept your vacuum hose, or there are 'large debris' collection cannisters that will attach to your vac hose.

Keeping as much stuff, as you can, from getting to the pump (and it's impeller) is always a good idea :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.