Main Drain issues

ugaccc

Apr 14, 2011
My main drain isn't working. I have no idea why. I just moved into this house and found the pool half empty and full of leaves. It had a cover on it that was well fitted so i'm not sure how the leaves got in there. Anyway...I've cleaned and filled the pool. My levels are almost perfect but there's still a little green in the deep end. I couldn't figure out why until I turned the valve of the skimmer and nothing went into the pump. I've tried priming it, I've looked for cut-off valves separate from the main one that is next to the skimmer one, and I checked the actual skimmer to see if it was one of those I've heard of that connects within the skimmer. Nothing. I'm at a total loss. Any ideas?

ugaccc said:
I checked the actual skimmer to see if it was one of those I've heard of that connects within the skimmer. Nothing. I'm at a total loss. Any ideas?
Do you mean you looked inside the skimmer below the basket and there are not two holes?

I'd be at a loss, too. Well, there's always the vacuum. That will pull water from the deep end.

You are brushing regularly, too, I hope.

Have you checked to see if the main drain has a plug in it? Some people will plug a main drain if it develops a leak instead of having it repaired, or it may have been part of the winter closing procedure done on the pool.
The leaves may have already been there when they covered the pool since the house was for sale.

That is what I meant zea3. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to have to do the vacuum thing for now sadly. I am planning on taking the valve out today and checking to see if the ball is actually moving when I turn it. I'm thinking it could just be stripped and the valve handle turns without actually moving the ball...we'll see.

Last comment directed to Richard...not zea3. Sorry. zea3, I did go down there last night to check the main drain and it seemed clear. I thought about taking it off but it has 10 screws and that would take me 5 hours in a pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.