Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drain issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drain issues

My main drain isn't working. I have no idea why. I just moved into this house and found the pool half empty and full of leaves. It had a cover on it that was well fitted so i'm not sure how the leaves got in there. Anyway...I've cleaned and filled the pool. My levels are almost perfect but there's still a little green in the deep end. I couldn't figure out why until I turned the valve of the skimmer and nothing went into the pump. I've tried priming it, I've looked for cut-off valves separate from the main one that is next to the skimmer one, and I checked the actual skimmer to see if it was one of those I've heard of that connects within the skimmer. Nothing. I'm at a total loss. Any ideas?
    IG 14 x 28 ~14,000 gal.
    Vinyl liner
    Catridge filter, Gas heater
    Connecticut

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main Drain issues

Quote Originally Posted by ugaccc
    I checked the actual skimmer to see if it was one of those I've heard of that connects within the skimmer. Nothing. I'm at a total loss. Any ideas?
    Do you mean you looked inside the skimmer below the basket and there are not two holes?

I'd be at a loss, too. Well, there's always the vacuum. That will pull water from the deep end.

You are brushing regularly, too, I hope.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you checked to see if the main drain has a plug in it? Some people will plug a main drain if it develops a leak instead of having it repaired, or it may have been part of the winter closing procedure done on the pool.
    The leaves may have already been there when they covered the pool since the house was for sale.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That is what I meant zea3. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to have to do the vacuum thing for now sadly. I am planning on taking the valve out today and checking to see if the ball is actually moving when I turn it. I'm thinking it could just be stripped and the valve handle turns without actually moving the ball...we'll see.
    IG 14 x 28 ~14,000 gal.
    Vinyl liner
    Connecticut

5. Back To Top    #5

Last comment directed to Richard...not zea3. Sorry. zea3, I did go down there last night to check the main drain and it seemed clear. I thought about taking it off but it has 10 screws and that would take me 5 hours in a pool!
    IG 14 x 28 ~14,000 gal.
    Vinyl liner
    Connecticut