Just got new test kit heres the numbers

Dec 5, 2007
NW Georgia
I have been using the TF 100 test kit since we installed our pool back in 09. I decided to order a new TF 100 test kit because I was getting some crazy numbers with the old one and I wanted the salt drop test and the stir kit. My pool stays open all year with the pump running, I take the Auto pilot salt cell off during the winter. Over this winter the pool turned green for the first time due to lack of care during the winter. Being in school now theres not a lot of time, anyway the my new kit came in today. I killed the alge over the weekend with bleach from walmart now the pool is clear. So here are my numbers

FC - 5.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 6.0
pH - 7.5
T/A - 160
CH - 50
CYA - 20
Salt- Drop test 3400 tested twice with same result
Salt strip test 2870 tested twice with same result
Temp - 73
Time - 7:00pm

I run the numbers in the pool calculator which told me to add 280oz of CYA which will be done gradually.
My question is with the T/A pool calcultor didnt give add or drop for this. So is there anything I need to do or just leave it alone?
The other is the Salt why is there such a difference in the Drop test and the strips?
If you guys think I need to make other changes let me know or are these numbers ok?

If the pH stays stable then I wouldn't worry about the TA at this point. The salt drop test is more precise than the strips. I would go with the drop test number. Keep adding bleach until the SWG is able to keep the FC stable. Re-test CYA about a week after it all dissolves. Sounds like you are doing fine!

Hey Simearl :wave:

The numbers look pretty good, except for TA. On the salt, lets wait on adjusting that when you turn on the SWG. If the SWG is happy with the salt level, there is no need to adjust. If your salt strips are more than 1yr old, they may be off and the Taylor drop kit is likely more accurate. But the SWG will decide if it has enough salt or not :goodjob:

TA at 160 will tend to make your PH rise, especially since you will be running a swg, we recommend TA in the 60-80 range for SWG pools. To lower TA you should add enough acid to drop your PH to 7.0 and then aerate your water until your PH rises up to 7.6. Re-measure TA and if it is still above 100, repeat the above. Acid lowers TA and PH, while aeration raises PH without raising TA :wave:

edit: zea beat me to it :hammer: , but lowering TA is not an urgent issue, especially since you have low CH...you can choose to just tackle it now or it will drop each time you have to lower PH via muratic acid additions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.