Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: We have a 6year old, Jacuzzi 250L Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

We have a 6year old, Jacuzzi 250L Sand Filter

We have a 6 year old, Jacuzzi 250L Sand Filter and water is squirting out from around the top of the filter barrel where the dial base screws onto.....it seems to be squirting out of a seam in the barrel (it is not a gasket)....is there a way to fix this? any help is greatly appreciated....

thanks

chris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: We have a 6year old, Jacuzzi 250L Sand Filter

Replacement is the only fix for a leaking seam. Don't try to patch it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you post a picture of the problem? Is the water coming from a seam that should be permanently stuck together or is the water coming from between two parts of the filter?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

A picture would be a great help. Do you know what your filter pressure is?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

yes,coming from a seam that should be permanently stuck together and it spews out pretty good and i dont dont how to check pressure.....is patching totally out of the question?

6. Back To Top    #6

It needs to be replaced if it is a failed permanent seam. Even though many filters are rated to about 50 psi, they don't do well at any pressure over 20 psi.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by webservant
    yes,coming from a seam that should be permanently stuck together and it spews out pretty good and i dont dont how to check pressure.....is patching totally out of the question?
    You should have a pressure gauge mounted on your filter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

A photo would help us say for sure, but if it is a seam that has come apart then the filter needs to be replaced.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

i will get a photo today...thanks fo rthe help

10. Back To Top    #10

If it's the tank the sand is in, it will need replacing. I strongly urge a new filter. Jacuzzi gear is a PITA to get parts for and is not a top brand. They have changed hands several times. They depend on the market remembering the brand name of their tubs (of which I am not a big fan).

If it's the multiport, that can be replaced.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there any patch for the seam? I know it might not be correct but any ideas for a quick patch?
    the guage reas 1 3/4.....but I think it's froaze up...it didnt move at all when i turned the pump on....
    is there a repacemnt tub that will fit my dial?

I appreciate everyones help on this!
    God Bless

chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

I would pull the multiport off and look at where the leak is coming from. It could be an o-ring leak that just shows up from under the collar.

I reiterate that the unit is a pressure vessel and you should NOT try to repair it. What you actually do, is of course, up to you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

I did remove the multiport.....and the oring looked ok as far as i could tell (but it was my first time viewing an oring).....so your saying that if the oring is faulty that it could show water leaking from under the collar like my picture shows?...in that case i should repalce it for a first attempt to fix, shouldnt I? do you know if there is a replacement barrel that i can purchase that will fit my exisiting dial? thanks again

14. Back To Top    #14

According to the parts breakdown there are two o-rings and the collar is a separate part from the vessel. Here is the parts diagram for the filter. You can see the separate parts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

my leak is on the collar of the tank (see arrow) and this collar is made as part of the tank...

chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

It looked like it was coming from under part #4 but I couldn't tell from the picture.

If the vessel is split then you're probably better off getting a new filter rather than trying ot replace the vessel. I'd scour craigslist near your area for a used one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

when u say new filter...do u mean the whole system including the dial? or just the tank?

18. Back To Top    #18

I mean the whole filter including the multiport valve. If you can find an exact replacement without the multiport then that would be fine but I figure that'll be hard to do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator