Plumbing Layout

deer hunter

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
O.K., I found a kit I am going to buy.18x36 sport bottom inground vinyl liner. I am planing on starting in early July. My buddy who is doing the excavation work is a farmer.(I have to give him time to plant and what not.)The two ends of the pool are at the north/south and (long)sides are east/west. I am either going with a super pump 1hp or a 2 speed super pump 1hp. I am having two skimmers and 2 step jets. I do not know how many other return jets to have or where to place the skimmers and returns. I am looking for a diagram of a plumbing layout to use, but am having trouble. I am not going to have a heater. I am also going to use 2 " pvc for plumbing unless convinced other wise. I would appreciate any advice and suggestions. Thanks, Dan

I highly recommend the two speed version of the pump. Running on low speed can save you quite a bit of money.

I don't know of any good diagrams for a basic pool. Most people feel it is so simple that they don't write it down. 2" plumbing is great. Put the skimmers on the sides the wind tends to blow towards. Personally I think two returns are plenty, but the modern trend is to put in lots of returns.

Thanks, Jason O.K. I am going with the 1hp two speed super pump and the C4025 cartridge filter. 2 skimmers, two returns, two main drains and two steps jets. My question is do I run everything in 2" or just the skimmers(separate lines back to pad w/ a three way valve) , returns(also separate line from pad with a three way valve) and the main drain(separate line back to pad w/ a three way valve tied into the three way from the skimmers). And then run the steps jets back with 1.5" from the pad(Two way valve before three way for returns, then single line back to steps and a T by step splitting it)Hope this makes sense to someone else but me. LOL By the way this forum is like an encyclopedia/owners manual/instruction book for pools.

That all sounds right. 2" lines back to the pad for everything except low flow things like the step jets. The two main drains share a single 2" line back to the pad. Three way valves so you can select suction source. Either three way valves to select return, or two way valves on each line to control where the water returns to.

One 1 1/2 for the step jets should be fine. I would make sure that runs from the T to the individual step jets are the same length and have the same number of 90s, or as close to that as you can manage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.