Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ohio Pool Opening

1. Back To Top    #1

Ohio Pool Opening

Hello all first i would like to say this is a wonderful site full of great info and i have followed it for years but this is my first time posting.

We had a 24' round above ground pool installed two years ago. the first two summers opening running and closing has went flawless using the BBB method learned from here. In mid-February we noticed a hole has formed in the middle of our winter cover after the large amounts of snow and ice we received here in southern Ohio. Needless to say the pool water got a large amount of rain/snow water into the pool water, plus some sun light pass through. The weather is now turning nice here so i decided to take a peak under the cover and see what shape we were in. Needless to say the water was still clear (minor cloudy) with the beginnings of allege growth. With the winter cover still on i went ahead and fired the pump back up and started balancing the water levels. After bring the water up to shock level for 24 hours with running the pump 24 hours the cloudy look is gone but the minor allege growth still appears to be present. Now for my question - would it be wise to go ahead and removed the winter cover and begin sweeping and maintaining the pool like i normally would even though it is two to three weeks earlier than i normally would here in Ohio?
    24' Round Above Ground
    15,000 Gallons
    Hayward Pro Series 100 Lbs Sand Filter
    Hayward Power Flo LX 1hp Pump
    8 gallon Liquidator 3/8
    BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ohio Pool Opening

Sure, open it up. That will make it simpler to take care of and nicer to look at. The only disadvantage is slightly more chemical usage in the next two weeks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the freeze danger is passed you can open any time you want. It will be easier to clean it up now instead of waiting a couple of weeks and trying to clear a potential swamp!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

With the water becoming balanced should the alage disipate after a good sweeping?
    24' Round Above Ground
    15,000 Gallons
    Hayward Pro Series 100 Lbs Sand Filter
    Hayward Power Flo LX 1hp Pump
    8 gallon Liquidator 3/8
    BBB Method