Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found a problem after uncovering pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Found a problem after uncovering pool

After we removed the cover, we noticed if we follow the water line around, it was way off on one side. I'm guessing that the one area of the ground sunk? I also guess there is nothing we can do about this?
    south side

north side
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found a problem after uncovering pool

The only effective way to fix that is to drain and remove the pool, re-level the ground, and set everything back up again.

That is pretty far are off level. It looks like it is far enough out that you might be at some risk for part of the wall collapsing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How much is it off from the highest to the lowest point and over what distance? My eyes aren't what they used to be and all the reflections of that 'purty water ain't helping either!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    How much is it off from the highest to the lowest point and over what distance?
    Seems to be 2 1/2 inches.
    The pool was installed last May so this is the first winter it went through.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system

5. Back To Top    #5

A couple of inches over any amount of distance may not be too bad for that whopper size pool. Have you checked to see if the toprails are reasonably level besides just the water level on the liner being off?
    I'd think you'd be in a lot better shape if the bottom of the pool in that area just sunk some and stretched the liner than if it had pulled the toprails out of level or the posts had sunk as well. Heck I was off almost that much years ago on a 10 ft round pool when my daughter was little and it lasted till she got tired of it. Then I TOOK IT DOWN! It didn't collapse. Don't give up hope just yet!
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine has been like that for about 5 years. I keep an eye on it and it has never gotten worse. The pool is close to the property line and our neighbor had removed a big tree a couple of years before we installed the pool. Looks like one of the big roots ran under that part of the pool and we had a little sinkage after the root decomposed. Walls are perfectly straight.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Mines like that. Not an issue for me in 10 years... just annoying to me (Pooliosis)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you checked to see if the toprails are reasonably level besides just the water level on the liner being off?
    I'd think you'd be in a lot better shape if the bottom of the pool in that area just sunk some and stretched the liner than if it had pulled the toprails out of level or the posts had sunk as well.
    I'm not sure how to check the toprails for level. I walked around and I can see the bottom rail all away around the pool, so it doesn't appear to have changed any. My worrying might be for nothing if the cats shredded the liner. I have a post telling that story.
    frustratedpoolmom, it will bother the heck out of me too.

9. Back To Top    #9

I meant the toprail of the pool. Lay a 2x4 across sections and check it with a level unless you can just eyeball it and tell. Probably not if it isn't very obvious. Sorry about the kitties!~

10. Back To Top    #10

I took a 4 foot level out and checked in several places around the top rail. Every section was right on. Maybe you are right and the soil sunk under the liner. Now I'm watching to see if the water level drops.