Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Header Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Header Size

I realize 2" is the recommended size for the Fafco headers. But our plumbing here at the cabin is only 1 1/2" so wouldn't getting 2" be useless? We planned on using 6 4'x10' panels. Which they said would really be 12 2'x2'? I was ready to 'click' and then had these doubts.

What we're after is a permanent setup. Ground rack. Vertical drainage. Goldline Controller. Thanks.
    ABG, Cornelius, 12'x24', oval, 7,700 gals, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump, sand filter. BBB. 6-4'x10' Fafco solar panels, permanently installed on wooden ground rack, GL235 auto controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Header Size

As a general rule, the more panels you have the more important getting larger headers is. The size of pipes elsewhere in the system is only a secondary consideration.

There is no specific number of panels that everyone agrees on where you should start getting larger headers. I generally say five or more panels and it is worth getting larger headers, but around 5 or 6 it isn't completely obvious that you need them, while if you had ten panels then it would be clear to me that larger headers were well worth it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Bear with me here Jason....why? If I can only pump 1 1/2" of water to it why is a 2" header going to do me any good? I'm not against getting the 2" I'd just like to understand.

And....what is your opinion of having to get/plumb so many small panels? We thought they were going to be 4x10 originally. Due to his back hub can't deal with large. But we did hope for 4'. Not 2'. Thanks
    ABG, Cornelius, 12'x24', oval, 7,700 gals, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump, sand filter. BBB. 6-4'x10' Fafco solar panels, permanently installed on wooden ground rack, GL235 auto controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

The resistance to flow is essentially proportional to the length of the pipe and it's average diameter. Larger diameter increase flow rate. Even if you only have larger pipes in a few places you have still improved the flow rate a little. The more larger pipe you have the more you improve things.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School