Opening pool and then leaving for two weeks. Questions.

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Our pool is being opened on the 2nd of May and we leave on the 7th of May for a two week vacation. We wanted the pool opened before we left so that it is ready to go once we arrive home. I'm thinking I'll have the time to fill it, give it a good cleaning, dump in the two or three bags of salt needed and some stabilizer. Once this is done and I get the temp to 60-65 to make chlorine, I should be about ready to leave for holiday. The weather will still be cool as we are in Ontario. Should I leave the solar blanket on the two weeks we are away? Is there any other maintenance that should be done in that time period that I'm not thinking of?

I would leave the blanket on yes. I would also consider manually bumping the FC level up to shock level before you leave, just as added insurance. Make sure the other chems are in range. Is there anyone who can check on it just to make sure the water level is where it should be, pump running, etc?

I have a friend that has a pool as well but he lives an hour away. Everyone else close would not have any idea what to do or when to do it. Leaving the cover on for two weeks, is it okay for the pool not to breathe for that long?

I've done it. It will help control evaporation and loss of FC due to the sun. Your PH may drop a small bit while your gone but that's ok for such a short time and you can easily fix that :) Truthfully as long as the equipment is running fine any small chemistry changes that MIGHT occur can be easily fixed (and we will help you :) ). My longest vacation was 11 days and all I did was shock and cover and left the pump going and it was fine and my FC remained above the "min". Enjoy your vacation :)

Alright, I spoke to my friend on the weekend. He is going to come to my place at the midway point of our vacation to check the skimmer basket, pump etc. I will shock it before I leave and put the cover on. Should I have him shock it again a week later or will the one I do last for two weeks? I was going to have him turn the heater up to a swimmable temperature at that point as well. Thanks.

Jonmar, I am in the same situation as you, we are opening the pool this weekend, then heading to Italy April 29th, I will get FC up good, if water temp is high enough, then SWG will work, if not, the High FC shuold keep for two weeks with no sunlight geting at it, and if the temp does go up high enough, then the SWG will kick in, as long as your CYA is ok, you shouldnt have problems.

Thanks everyone. I imagine the water will remain cool. I was going to set the heater to about 60-65 and leave it. I just want to come home, crank the heat and be able to jump in the next day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.