Where does all the salt go?

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
I have only a very basic understanding of how an SWCG works and I'd like to understand the process by which the chlorine is generated and what becomes of the remnants of the sodium chloride. As I understand it when regular bleach is used up it is converted into salt. How is the chlorine released from the sodium chloride in the chlorine generator and what is left over when the chlorine is used up? If it turns back into a salt of some sort does the salt content of the water just keep rising over time or is the salt actually consumed or broken down? Are there any long term concerns with buildups of the salt residue in the water? If not, where does it all go?

Thanks

Gary

The super simple answer is that the salt is converted into chlorine by the SWG cell and when the chlorine gets used up it turns back into salt. For the much more technical full story read through the post that Ohm_Boy linked to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.