Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where does all the salt go?

1. Back To Top    #1
    So. California

Where does all the salt go?

I have only a very basic understanding of how an SWCG works and I'd like to understand the process by which the chlorine is generated and what becomes of the remnants of the sodium chloride. As I understand it when regular bleach is used up it is converted into salt. How is the chlorine released from the sodium chloride in the chlorine generator and what is left over when the chlorine is used up? If it turns back into a salt of some sort does the salt content of the water just keep rising over time or is the salt actually consumed or broken down? Are there any long term concerns with buildups of the salt residue in the water? If not, where does it all go?

26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Orlando, FL

Re: Where does all the salt go?

Let's see if this post (i-m-confused-t27248.html#p224658) can help with that any of that.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Where does all the salt go?

The super simple answer is that the salt is converted into chlorine by the SWG cell and when the chlorine gets used up it turns back into salt. For the much more technical full story read through the post that Ohm_Boy linked to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School