Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I have a Pac Fab multi-port valve model SP-712-2 that is leaking from the top. After a little research I'm thinking I need to replace an O ring. Do I need the "GO KIT 10 Universal 5-SPOKE Multiport Rebuild Kit SP-710X / SP-712 (after 1976)" (http://www.poolcenter.com/go_kits_by_aladdin_valve_kits.htm)? Is this a simple fix?
I was intimidated by my Polaris until I watched a You Tube video on how to rebuild one. Now I'm comfortable changing out bearings, etc. I've never touched the valve though and want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start taking it apart. I can't not have that working!

Thanks for your help in advance!

The GO Kit will have the o-ring you need, which can also be found separately. Mutli-port servicing is simpler than Polaris servicing, so it should be easy for you. There are videos around on YouTube if that helps.

I got it fixed. The spider gasket was bent and not seating properly causing the leak. I got the GO KIT 10 and replaced all the gaskets except the little shaft O-ring. I couldn't figure out how to remove the old one. If anyone knows how please tell me. I found a YouTube video on how to replace a spider gasket (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNyQZEhwdoE). However, I also found a site that described how to replace most of the gaskets (except the little O-ring) at: http://www.poolrepair.com/archive/spider.html. Contrary to conventional wisdom this site recommended NOT gluing the spider gasket and, instead, just use some waterproof grease to help it seal. It tried that, thinking I could just go back and glue it if it didn't work. Seems to be working fine so far.

Thanks for all the help!

Just thought I'd update this old post with some new information in case someone is looking to solve a similar problem. The leaking stopped after I replaced the spider gasket; for a while. However, the leaking started again after a few years so I thought, no problem, I'll just fix the gasket again. Didn't work this time. While performing a major overall of my pump station recently I finally just took the whole thing out and brought it to the pool store to make sure I got a matching new one. The guy at the store pointed out a hairline crack that was causing the leak. It was pretty obvious when you knew what to look for. So, this is just a reminder to not overlook the obvious. If your valve is leaking and a new GO KIT doesn't fix it look for a crack.

Sorry, I didn't notice the replies earlier asking about the crack. Unfortunately, I threw out the old valve. The crack was literally the thickness of a strand of hair (aka a "hairline" crack). I think it ran along the short section of the threaded return line sticking out from the side. My guess is that I may have caused it by overtightening the joint when I installed a new return line pipe (which I did when I added a port for my liquidator).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.