Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Sticker Shock

New to the forum. Gathering bids on my in-ground gunite pool in Houston, TX and I'm aghast at how much my bids are coming in for.

Specs:

Formal square edge style design appx 29' x 41'
    960 sq ft
    148 perimeter
    5' deep, 3' shallow
    7' square spa raised 6" with negative edge
    14' x 7' sun shelf with 3 bubblers
    Plaster bottom
    Stacked cultured stone wall 8' long x 24" tall with 3 24" sheers
    3 36" square by 30" tall stacked cultured stone columns
    appx 1500 sq ft of travertine paver deck set in French pattern
    Trav bullnose coping
    400k BTU heater
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    2 Whisperflo 1.5hp pumps
    DE filter

I'm sure there are some other things in the list but can't think of them now.

Anyway, my bids are in the $100k range. Seems ridiculous.

Thoughts?
    16x34, ~20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Super pump, SwimClear Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sticker Shock

Welcome to TFP

A 30x40' pool is rather large and gunite pools are not cheap, as you are now finding

Especially depending on the types of finshes you are looking for. A high end looking pool will tend to have a high-end price tag attached to it. Negative edge/spa, etc add a lot of $ to what may be a $35-$40K straight 20x40 gunite plaster pool with no features.

As a point of reference the below pool ran about $175K on LI, NY, but as you can tell, required a significant amount of stone work and has quite a bit of extras, but is certainly not as large as 30'x40'. Good luck with the build

24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I GC'ed it my self. My owner builder pool with significant effort in getting highest quality materials cheap (liquidation, sale, etc) was quoted at $170K; it will come in under $70K. Check out my thread "California Dreaming" under new pool bids. If you have the stomach for it and some free time it can go smooth and you can save 50%+. Some of the builders here will make you believe it's not possible; well it is. Good luck friend.
    OB Pool - 45K Gal. 64'x25' free-form IG - 35'x18" raised bond beam - Swim up bar w/ 5 stools - 14'x8 ' sunken patio/grill area w/ icemaker, fridge, SS cabinets, sink, granite counters, dual head grill - 14' spa w/12 venturi jets - 2 fire bowls - 1 firepit - Indeck drink cooler - 3 fiberlit waterfalls - 14' sun shelf with 2 fiberlit bubblers - 25 x fiberlit star floor fixtures - 5 Pentair Intelliflow 3HP pumps - Tiger Shark QC Cleaner - 4 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Intellichlor IC40 alt cells - Intellitouch i9 w/ i10x expansion - Pentair IS10 spa side remote - MobileTouch2 - 4 Valve Actuators - Silencer Blower - Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter - 2 fiberlit laminars - 4 Fiberstar Illuminators - Perimeter fiberlit bar counter and spa - 2 Bermuda Skimmers - 8 Returns - Hydrazzo custom color plaster - Natural quartz ledging - Glass Mosaic Tile - 2000 sq ft paver deck w/ double banded poured coping - Interfab G-Force Pool slide.

4. Back To Top    #4

That does seem a little high, but I'm sure prices vary all over the country.

My Base pool with the equipment was about $37,000, the spa was another $6,000. We added a bunch of stuff (Pebble Plaster, PDA remote, cantilever coping, etc.) that pushed it up about $6,000. Concrete Decking (colored and stamped) was $5.25 SF. Pavers were $8.10 SF. We did the whole yard, so I assume I got a slightly better deal than just the Pool/Spa/Deck pricing.

My PB wanted an additional $10,000 for a 17' vanishing edge on the pool. We passed on that option.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes indeed, this can cause sticker shock. Now, I can't think of the term for that sick feeling we got along the way as we ran into various reasons to add to or modify the original specs, causing our cost to become "Bid" + 50%.

Read as much as you can on this forum and get the education we didn't have when we started to solicit bids.

Good luck to you!

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

A wise person told me:

"When it comes to quality, you only Wince Once."

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

For the Houston area that's not a bad price as long as the craftsmanship is very well done...I don't know where you are in Houston but i know a bunch of high end builders where that price is well worth it...

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds reasonable with the size and travertine coping + decking. It is a fairly large deck. You should be able to get the costs itemized. You will probably find that the decking+coping (if it is good quality travertine is at around 40% of the price)
    You should check references and see the quality of their work.
    In my opinion, quality may cost a little more (though not that much more if you really compare apples and apples) but you will enjoy the quality for many years to come.
    Just my 2 cents......
    Good luck with the project.
    22000 gallon IGP, 820 sqft, SWG - IC60, infinity edge spa, Pentair Quad DE 100, 3 x Pentair Intelliflow 4x160 pumps (one for circulation + one for spa + one for sheer descents), spa with 8 jets + 4 leg jets, air blower, Pentair EasyTouch 8 remote, Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa, Pentair Master Temp 400,000 btu heater, 4 sheer descents (2x2', 2x6'), limestone coping and decking, Pebblesheen Prism Blue

Useful links:
    Pool Chemistry
    Chlorine reactions

9. Back To Top    #9

One other thing to consider. Lots of contractors will charge a premium for "Change Orders". If you change from Concrete to Pavers it will cost more than just the difference on that item. I discussed this with my PB before construction and he is VERY cool about changes. He only charges the actual difference in cost. He even credited me for the Ozone and Nature 2 systems I canceled (and the actual Ozone unit was on my porch for 3-4 weeks).
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Does seem high, but that's a massive pool.

Our pool (sans composite deck and landscaping) came in around that price, and it included a riverflow system. About 750sq ft.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ly-t26594.html
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

11. Back To Top    #11

Shake...I know this has been said before but your pool
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Shake...I know this has been said before but your pool
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

13. Back To Top    #13

My pool is 18x36 as shown. The pool construction cost $56K and the entire project for wall and pool house so far is $98K and I've got about $10K more in material left to finish up. I did all the work on the wall and pool house. Welcome to REALITY. If you do things yourself, you'll save a TON of money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

All I can say is wow that is alot of $ for a pool. I just finished up on my pool done by Premier Pools and spas, 19x38 gunite 565 surface 99 perimeter 1023sf interior volume with all Jandy equipment, 2hp 2 speed pump, 580 cartridge filter, ozone nature 2,Paramount pv3 infloor 19 heads 5 returns and 2 skimmers. I have 3 18 inch sheers 1 periscoping fountain 34 feet of benches and steps with trim tile. The raised area is 22 feet of 12 inch and 13 feet of 6 inch coverd in real stacked stone. Peeble sheen blue granite and a 36 inch trazocrete table. I didnt do any fancy automation but did do 2 savi leds. The pool above was under just under 30k. I used a seperate contractor for my decking which is just about 1000 sq feet of adobe that was another 10k. I really wanted to do an inground spa at first but they are just for looks, I am so glad I didnt do one, You need to hagle with the sales people it saved me about five grand and I could have done this pool even a little cheaper with Cal Pools but they would only let me do travertine tile for the decking.That pool above with all the stone work is amazing but wow 175k. I would take your time in choosing a builder, I talked with over 30 builders and took a long time in making the choice. Can your homes value handle a 100k pool ?[attachment=1:39u9eltq]006.JPG[/attachment:39u9eltq][attachment=0:39u9eltq]007.JPG[/attachment:39u9eltq]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,000 gallon IG Gunite, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, PV3 Infloor, All Jandy EQ, 1000 Sqft Adobe deck

15. Back To Top    #15

A lot of pricing depends on where one is located.

Drew, where are you?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    A lot of pricing depends on where one is located.

Drew, where are you?
    You may have missed it, but they are in Houston.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

17. Back To Top    #17

yea, i missed that.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Bigchevy,
    I assume you are in the phoenix area?
    We probably have the cheapest pools in the nation by a long shot due to the number that get built, the amount of competition, and the close proximity to many materials. IE Pebble tec is cheapest here because it is made in the valley, ect.
    For you Wow, you saw 30 contractors. The exact reason why I dont advertise.

19. Back To Top    #19

Just-a-pb
    With the quality of pools you build you certainly don't need to advertise.
    I fully agree with you that quality costs and more often than not you find that the cheapest offer is not the best offer in the long run. Small details may make you smile everyday or frown everyday depending on how they are done.
    It is probably never a 'wise' decision to put in a pool if you only look at home value but I think your home will be easier to sell when you get to that point - even if you don't get 'all the money back' that you put into the pool. Hopefully you will also have enjoyed many great hours in your backyard that will make it all worthwhile.
    Pick a PB you trust and try to get as much as possible itemized. Of course you want the PB to make some money - otherwise he will not be around for long if you ever need him for warranty work.....
    22000 gallon IGP, 820 sqft, SWG - IC60, infinity edge spa, Pentair Quad DE 100, 3 x Pentair Intelliflow 4x160 pumps (one for circulation + one for spa + one for sheer descents), spa with 8 jets + 4 leg jets, air blower, Pentair EasyTouch 8 remote, Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa, Pentair Master Temp 400,000 btu heater, 4 sheer descents (2x2', 2x6'), limestone coping and decking, Pebblesheen Prism Blue

Useful links:
    Pool Chemistry
    Chlorine reactions

20. Back To Top    #20

Found a reputable pool builder who also does high end custom homes. We have itemized every cost as well as his fee/profit for the job. We're saving about $30k on the project since there is full disclosure on the sub costs. Everything checks out apples to apples compared to the other more expensive builders with regards to materials, subcontractors, etc.

More than anything I'm just ****** that there is $30k worth of profit in the other builders' bids considering the amount of actual work that goes into them managing the project. I have a feeling that we were being priced based on neighborhood (high end gated community) and what my neighbors were willing to pay for their pools.

I confronted one well known local builder about his pricing and my unwillingness to pay cost plus percentage. I was willing to pay sub costs plus a flat contracting/design fee. He became very irritated and confrontational at my requests even accusing me of trying to scalp his subs so that I could do the project myself. It simply wasn't the case but he obviously didn't believe me. I wanted to verify his insurance, the subs insurance coverages, the subs hiring/employment practices (with regards to illegal labor), and the actual amount the subs were charging. This was met with much hostility by the PB. I guess this is a no-no? Is this information secret? We broke off our negotiations a couple weeks ago.

So, I will be starting a new thread once we start construction so everyone can see the progress.
    16x34, ~20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Super pump, SwimClear Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite SWG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast