New pump?? Rough start to the season!

Apr 25, 2008
When attempting to drain the remaining water from our pool so that we could measure for a new liner (leak and total liner loss) we found our pump not working. It is humming, but not pulling water. It is a hayward 1 hp super pump. It did this last year and we replaced something :oops: well, my hubby did, and it worked fine when we closed it. The pump is many years old. I feel fairly sure we can get it to work again by checking the impeller, capacitor, etc. My question, though, is is it time for a new pump? We bought the house/pool 4 years ago and the lady told us to run the pump 24/7 so we always have and still struggled w/ algae. We found this forum and finally last year had an algae-free year woo hoo :whoot: but we are paying a lot of electricity and probably wasting it from what I read on here. So, should we invest in a new pump that is more energy efficient? Or is our pump fine and we just need to experiment with leaving the pump off a certain amount of time each day? How do we determine that? I have no idea how to figure out what size pump is needed, if ours is adequate, etc. Sorry for the long post! Thanks for any advice.. this forum is great!!

Most of the time it is not worth replacing a pump that is working. If it is actually broken, then yes it might be worth replacing. However, there are still a couple of things to try before giving up on it.

It the motor shaft is not turning, turn the pump off and try turning the shaft manually a couple of turns, then see if it will turn on. If it still doesn't turn, try giving it a good bump (not destroyed, just a bump) with something like a 2x4 and see if that helps.

If the motor is turning, you may just not be priming the pump correctly. Make sure you fill the pump strainer basket with water before starting the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.