Question about main drain and general pool plumbing question

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
I have a main drain and one skimmer. We only have one outlet to the pump from the skimmer. I looked in the skimmer but I don't see more than one plug - a lot of posts mentioned I should see two if the skimmer and main drain are on the same pipe. is there some other way this could be setup? Could the main drain and skimmer come together under the deck with a t junction or something (sorry for my terminology)?

Also, since it appears that water is still coming into our system from the main drain, does anyone have any recommendations for what they would do to cover a main drain? I PM'd Jason and he suggested I put it out here for everyone. So I'd love to hear how you do this. Preferably I'd like to not get in the water... obviously that might not be an option that will work! :)

Thanks
Anne

Re: Question about main drain and general pool plumbing ques

The obvious possibility is that the skimmer pipe and main drain pipe join together somewhere underground. That isn't all that common, but it is fits the situation.

Doing plumbing work on pipes that are below water level while the pool is full of water is tricky but it can be done. The best solution is to block of the connections at the pool end. However it is going to be tricky to block off the main drain without getting in the water.

The first thing that comes to my mind is to cover the main drain with a big piece of plastic like a garbage bag or something like that. It will at least slow the flow if you can get it into the right position which will probably be pretty difficult. It's worht a try anyways.

Heavy metal mixing bowl with some added weight? Drill a hole in it and tie a string through it and lower it in tied around the net pole?

A lip seal around the edge of the bowl and enough weight may slow the flow down long enough for drier plumbing work but it may not be enough to really stop flow completely.

Is the trench work high enough compared to the pool to drain below it without causing damage? Obviously this means much more water usage but dry connection work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JSwinehart, we've actually drained the pool to the bottom of the skimmer and the pipes are not much below the surface of the deck.
I like your suggestion though.

Appreciate any others! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.