Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about main drain and general pool plumbing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about main drain and general pool plumbing question

I have a main drain and one skimmer. We only have one outlet to the pump from the skimmer. I looked in the skimmer but I don't see more than one plug - a lot of posts mentioned I should see two if the skimmer and main drain are on the same pipe. is there some other way this could be setup? Could the main drain and skimmer come together under the deck with a t junction or something (sorry for my terminology)?

Also, since it appears that water is still coming into our system from the main drain, does anyone have any recommendations for what they would do to cover a main drain? I PM'd Jason and he suggested I put it out here for everyone. So I'd love to hear how you do this. Preferably I'd like to not get in the water... obviously that might not be an option that will work!

Thanks
    Anne
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about main drain and general pool plumbing ques

The obvious possibility is that the skimmer pipe and main drain pipe join together somewhere underground. That isn't all that common, but it is fits the situation.

Doing plumbing work on pipes that are below water level while the pool is full of water is tricky but it can be done. The best solution is to block of the connections at the pool end. However it is going to be tricky to block off the main drain without getting in the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The first thing that comes to my mind is to cover the main drain with a big piece of plastic like a garbage bag or something like that. It will at least slow the flow if you can get it into the right position which will probably be pretty difficult. It's worht a try anyways.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello Anne~~

Why do you want to block off your main drain?

........Oooooops, I just found some of your other posts! Good luck with the project~~

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

5. Back To Top    #5

Heavy metal mixing bowl with some added weight? Drill a hole in it and tie a string through it and lower it in tied around the net pole?

A lip seal around the edge of the bowl and enough weight may slow the flow down long enough for drier plumbing work but it may not be enough to really stop flow completely.

Is the trench work high enough compared to the pool to drain below it without causing damage? Obviously this means much more water usage but dry connection work.
    Vinyl IG, 19k gal, Intelliflo Variable Speed, Hayward S244T Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the suggestions.

JSwinehart, we've actually drained the pool to the bottom of the skimmer and the pipes are not much below the surface of the deck.
    I like your suggestion though.

Appreciate any others!
    Temecula, CA
    16X32 (approx) 20k gal, DE filter, IG, plaster/pebble with diving board & slide
    Whisperflo pump; Pentair SMBW 4000 Series filter... that's all I know! Still learning....