Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rectangular solar cover for Kidney pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Philly Burbs

Rectangular solar cover for Kidney pool

I know that it can be done, but does anyone actually do it?

It's time for me to get a new solar cover. Currently I have a cover divided into 4 pieces that fit perfectly over a odd shaped pool. I'm considering using a rectangular piece floating in the pool that does not overhang the edges. I think that with my pool, it would only cover about 75-80% or so.

Will that work 75% as well as a complete cover? Or would my return be diminished for some reason that I am not thinking of?
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Massachusetts

Re: Rectangular solar cover for Kidney pool

I have a kidney with a rectangle cover. I cut the cover to fit and put the cover on a reel. You buy a cover bigger than the pool and cut to fit. i have a 16x32 kidney so i bought a 18x 34 cover and cut it. I havent got it on yet, but will either today or tomorrow and i'll post up a pict or 2.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Cupertino, CA

Re: Rectangular solar cover for Kidney pool

A cover on 75% of the pool should reduce evaporation 75%.

Like bk406 I got a bigger cover and cut to fit in two pieces, and individually these are easier to manage than one big cover.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page