Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combo nylon/stainless steel wall whale brush?

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Combo nylon/stainless steel wall whale brush?

I have a plaster pool that was replastered a few years ago. I read on another thread that I should regularly use a 50/50 combo nylon/stainless steel brush. The only place I can find a Whale Wall 50/50 is on the manufacturer's site ( for $40 plus shipping. I already have a 50/50 brush. I'm trying to figure out what my best option is:
    1. Buy the Whale Wall Combo Brush for $40
    2. Buy the regular Whale Wall Brush for $25 and retro fit my current brush. (How easy is this to do? One poster above said he had to drill some new holes, but the plastic is soft. I matched up my brush to one at the store and saw that the holes were just barely offline so if I drilled a new hole it would just make one bigger hole. Also, my brush has an aluminum handle so I would have to drill into metal; not plastic.
    3. Buy the XL Whale Wall Brush for $26. If I didn't really need a 50/50 brush I would get the XL brush because the brush contours look like they would work on my pool surfaces well.

Any advice is apprecieated!
    26K IG plaster pool, 2 Baker Hydro Skimmers (Model HS), 4 return jets (one plumbed with a PoolSkim surface cleaner), Hayward 1.5 6-way Multiport Valve (Sp710x-All), Polaris 380 w/ Polaris PB4-60Q Halcyon 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5 HP (1.65 SFHP) Two Speed Pump (SF-N2-1-1/2A), Stainless Steel Hayward vertical DE 36ft2 filter (Duralon tank model DE3600), Purex CHD Pool Star light, 2 Intermatic mechanical time switches controlling the filter pump and booster pump, Hasa 8 gallon 3/8" Pool Liquidator Chlorinator, 1.5" return line with 3 x 1.5" suction lines, Austin, TX

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Combo nylon/stainless steel wall whale brush?

I suppose it is really a question of how adventurous you are. I'm sure you existing brush could be retro fitted, but it might require some creativity/effort. What is it worth to you to have two brushes (the old one and a new combo wall whale) vs figuring out a retro fit that runs a very small chance of breaking both of them?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School