Here I am again with a new post looking for some advice please, I only posted on my previous thread a couple of days ago saying how wonderful my pool looks and how happy I am. This is still true but thought I should start a new thread for this query.
I will try and keep this as short as possible to make it easier to read (and not get you bored with my drivel)
Ever since we acquired our pool with the house nearly 2 years ago we have (what I thought maybe mustard algae). Having recently shocked the pool and got all my levels correct following some great advice on here, I let the FC level drop to 7 to get an accurate Ph reading. Had to go to work and when I came back, IT WAS BACK. Brownish spots all over the steps and pool floor, and today I noticed the dusty brown when I was brushing.
The walls appear clear (and from what I have read Mustard algae clings to walls) mmmmm confused. It has always been this way with the brown dusty stuff just poofing up when I brush, it did ease off last winter but came back noticeably at the start of the summer period. The spots or areas are more noticeable now that my pool is clear and also probably because I have not been using the automatic pool cleaner (X7 Quattro).
I have read many threads on here regarding Mustard algae and yes have considered pollen from nearby trees etc. We don't get a cold winter here and its green for 12 months of the year. But since it practically disappeared during my last shock which I tried to keep at FC 30 it all but vanished. As soon as FC levels dropped it returned.
So I now believe I have mustard algae (rightly or wrongly) or some other horrible living thing in my pool and have started the shock process again with brushing and vacuuming to waste. I will continue with the shocking at least until monday morning when we go away for 5 days pre Easter, work permitting, I have the time to really hammer it until friday afternoon after which my time at home will be very limited.
My real question / concern is that, given I have used the pool cleaner pretty much continually when the pump has been running, I don't now. How much of this horrible stuff is in my filter. Is it worth me taking off the top and hosing out the sand, I have seen this mentioned in a few posts. I have a multi valve fitted to the top of my filter which was all new including sand when we moved in.
I am guessing at this point that if it is required then I just have to unscrew the pipes that are attached and then unscrew the multi valve and follow the instructions which are posted on TFP.
Am I right to brush or does this just spread it around or should I just shock till it turns white then Vacuum and then brush. I vacuumed all that I could see this morning before I started to shock again, so its pretty minimal the amount that is settling and appearing.
Thanks again for any advice on this new post, I go into this with confidence and minimal stress, time is my enemy this week
Just to clarify the colour of the spots/areas is a sort of light browny grey, the dusty stuff seems to be slightly darker though.
I wish I had taken pictures this morning