Pool Rover Plus power supply

tphaggerty

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
Poughquag, NY
I have a Pool Rover plus that has worked great for about 5 seasons. This year, it won't run. The power supply does not seem to be putting out any voltage, though it does hum. The fuse is fine. A new power supply is about $160 and non-returnable *AND* several stores have said that it is more likely that Rover's motor is shot.

Karl was running fine at the end of last year - we have always had problems getting it to run (often have to turn the power supply on/off several times and hit the reset button). I hate to throw out what has been and still appears to be a perfectly good cleaner, but I also don't want to waste any money on something that really won't work.

So, two questions:

1) Anyone with any experience in this? Final resolution for your Rover was ?

2) Anyone that has given up on their Rover that wants to sell theirs (including the PS) for parts to see if I can get good old Rover up and running again?

If I can't get it running, I probably will get a new Aquabot T-jet, which appears to be a slightly upgraded Rover Plus. Any thoughts on those (I have looked through the threads, pretty light on that model right now).

When you say it doesn't seem to be putting out any voltage, did you test it with a meter or just guessing?
If it's humming it's most likely putting out power. I tend to agree that it's likely the motor, but it could be just a loose connection.

Did you turn the meter to AC just to see what you get? Sometimes the diodes will short closed and allow AC to pass.

Am I allowed to change my first assessment? :oops: It may well be the power supply, now that I have more info.

*ALL* help/suggestions are appreciated! I'm going to retest everything (including your suggestion on testing for AC voltage).

I think I'm also going to try a 12VDC input directly to the Rover to see if he responds at all, I would think 12 would be enough to at least get some idea of whether the Rover motor is fried or not...

Re: Pool Rover Plus power supply - SUCCESS

To all, thanks for the help! Karl (rover) is running again.

After determining that the power supply was indeed putting out around 40V AC (not 24V DC as the manual says), all I finally did was use a stick to spin the impeller a few times. There was no hair stuck there or anything. After that, Karl fired up and has been running well. I think that the impeller shaft may have been stuck due to a little bit of corrosion, just enough to keep it from starting up. Once freed, it was good to go. When I get a chance, I'll give it a tiny shot of silicon spray and hopefully we'll be good for the rest of the season.

I don't think it will last past this season though, the plastic is cracking in a number of places. 6 seasons is pretty good!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.