What to do???

ROB N

Nov 26, 2010
Calera, Al
Today is the day!!! The pool will be finished, it has been filled and running for a week, the pb did the start up and balanced the water. He is coming today to finish a few last things, make a few equipment adjustments and bring the last pieces of equipment. Last week once he started the fill I went ahead and ordered the most important equipment, my tf100 xl w/ speed stir! :whoot: it arrived in less than 48 hrs!! Well done!! :goodjob: Thanks Dave! I then went last Saturday and purchased MA, bleach, borax, baking soda and 16 lbs of CYA Well since I am not sure what type of start up he is doing I have not tested the water. Yesterday, I could not stand it anymore, I got out my test kit and started to test ph and Cl, ph=8.2 Cl=2 :shock: I stopped right there! Being that the pb has not turned it over to me and I am not sure what type of start up he is using. I did not want to do anything and give him any possible reason blame me for anything not going right during the start up. Was/is this the correct thing to do or should I have taken control and started the BBB method? I figured since he is handing me the reigns today, I will do a complete set of tests this evening and commence the inaugural BBB on our newly completed pool!!! :party:

Congrats on the new pool! I can't give you much advice since I am a bit of a newby too! I can tell you you will have to be all over the PH, I just got new plaster a few weeks ago and it's a daily battle to keep the Ph in balance...you will be buying alot of muratic acid for awhile...and bleach for that matter. Lots of brushing and vacuuming and re-reading pool school have been in my routine, and coming here and asking lots of questions.
Best advice I can give you is test daily and be patient in the process. I've been a bit overwhelmed, but it gets more comfortable every day learning the new pool routine. Best of luck and congrats!
B

I think you did the right thing by waiting. That way there can be no fingerpointing later if there's a problem.

I'd expect the high pH with a fresh plaster job. He may very well be bringing it down every day and having it jump back up.

I would ask him (nicely) if he added any stabilizer. It can take a little time to show up, so your test may underreport it. You don't want to add too much! Trust me. It's real easy to add more but hard to get rid of too much.

TFP sends refills just as quick as full kits; I'm sure you'll be burning through test reagents at an alarming rate while you obsess over your new toys. :wink:

Are those chemicals you purchased ones that he TOLD you to buy? Just make sure that nothing he has done----get a list of what he has added so far-------- will interfere with your future chemical maintenance plans. Sounds like you have everything you need to start it up/maintain it yourself besides some calcium perhaps.

Their is an inline chloronator, and he has a bucket of pucks out by the equip pad. I will probably not use them, if I do it will be only to get the Cl and cya two for one on the start up then only as a way to dose the pool when we are away on vacation... I will talk with him tonight about what he has added, do a complete series of tests and clean/brush and report back with results!
Woody, we live in an area that has many lime plants and the water is supplied from deep within these quarries, it has a good bit of calcium, I am not positive but I don't think (low)calcium will be an issue... But only a complete set of test results will tell for sure! :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.