Old jet replacement-threads don't match and set in concret

Apr 12, 2011
Hi there - I'm a newbie here. I've read enough of the forum to get the basics of my water chemistry, but now I need to tackle a few mechanical problems. The most pressing are three issues with my jets.

A friend was helping with my new pool and unscrewed one of the jets to adjust the angle. We've been unable to get it threaded back, although the threads are in good shape. It seems like maybe the ball has swollen. My wife brought it to the local big box pool store. I should have known this was a long shot after they gave her a gallon of chemicals, based on a cheapie test strip. Anyway, they found a replacement jet of the same diameter, but the threads are much larger / wider than the unit that came out of the pool. I tried removing the old fitting from the wall, using a pair of pliers in the two grooves, but it appears to be set into the wall. I've attached a picture with the old set on the right and the new on the left. This seems to be having a major impact... on that side of the pool, the drain no longer seems to pick up any of the fine dirt off the bottom. Any ideas?

The second issue is with what I think is a spa jet. It's positioned right behind a bench seat in the pool and is just rounded-in concrete, rather than having fittings like the other 2 jets. I have tried all of the Jandy valves at the pump, but nothing seems to get this jet going.

The third issue is more of a question. I attached a pool devil to one of my 2 main jets (http://www.pooldevil.net/). Now that I'm noticing the impact of losing circulation on one side, I'm wondering if reducing the force of the jet circulating water is causing other problems. I bought a Blue Diamond and this works great to clean the bottom and walls, but I have yet to get the water totally clear. I still have larger particles (primarily on the surface). My cartridge filter is clean and pump pressure is good. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really want to get this all sorted out with summer approaching.

Thanks in advance!!!

Brad

Re: Old jet replacement-threads don't match and set in concr

Welcome to TFP!

The return eyeballs are usually made of three pieces. I can't imaging the ball swelling. The piece with the grooves will come out, although it's possible somebody got carried away with PVC solvent.

Will the cover thread on without the eyeball in place?

As to the large particles on the surface, how long do you run your pump?

I don't see the pics but I suspect John is on to something. If you can see the slots in the fitting then it should be removable. They even make a special tool for that.

Try posting the pics again and we'll have a better idea what we're dealing with.

Thanks guys. Reattached the pic. Hadn't noticed I was over the filesize limit. The cover threads fine without the ball. I've been running the pump 6 hrs overnight, which I believe is on the high side, since I'm estimating the pool at around 10k gallons. Can't find the horsepower rating on the pump. The case just says 3450 RPM (Purex Triton Pinnacle). The weir is also missing right now, but I didn't think this would account for the amount of fine debris on the surface (ants, dirt, etc). Where can I find the special tool you mentioned. I torqued it pretty good with pliers and couldn't get it to move!

Brad

Attachments

• pool-jet.png
    pool-jet.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 58

Here's a link to the removal tool. However if you have a piece of flat bar laying around and some vise grips, you can make one a lot cheaper. Since you've already tried pliers don't bother getting the plastic ones.

prosoundbrad said:
The weir is also missing right now, but I didn't think this would account for the amount of fine debris on the surface (ants, dirt, etc).

That is exactly the cause of the problem. The weir causes the skimmer to draw from a thin layer of water at the surface, causing bugs etc. to flow toward the skimmer.

Aha! I misunderstood the purpose of the weir. I read somewhere else that it just prevents debris from flowing back into the pool after the pump shuts off. That now makes sense why I've been having this issue. I ordered a replacement online, but it turns out is measured incorrectly. I'll see if I can find a replacement locally.

Any one have any ideas on the spa jet? I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this.

Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.