replacement pump needed

Jun 18, 2009
Here's the current fella:

0_%282592%C3%971936%29-20110412-221812.jpg

I'm not certain what new pumps vs. this one can offer--but rather than replace all the gaskets in this one I'm just going to replace it. I assume these days they're more energy efficient and quieter?

Do i need to replace just the pump motor, or the pump side as well?

Thanks for any advice/help you can provide!

model number on the pump side is:
0_%282592%C3%971936%29-20110412-222604.jpg

I suspect this pump ( A Hayward Super II 2HP standard efficiency Pump) is oversized unless you need a lot of lift, or the small water feature consumes a lot of water. My pool is over twice the size of yours and I have a 1.5HP Hayward Super Pump. In general you will get the best performance out of a variable speed pump which you can set for the speed needed at any given time, the next best choice after that is a 2 speed pump.

Ike

p.s. I don't know about the Super II, but all the gaskets can be changed out in a Super Pump in well under an hour, and most can be accessed without disconnecting any plumbing.

Do you have any examples of models/recommended for switching out. We bought this house with little history on the pool, other than when permits were pulled by the contractor for putting it in (roughly 10 years ago). I'm guessing the pump is about that old, so I'm not sure how much money I want to throw at it to keep it alive. I also wouldn't mind getting something newer/more energy efficient if possible (without spending a fortune).

I too, would think I could get away with 1.5hp? The water feature isn't anything huge, but there is a lot of pipe/joints/etc--not sure how much that plays into it. Has 4 jets, 2 drains, 1 skimmer, 1 water feature (36" water spray/waterfall back into the pool) and the robot/cleaner.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for the response--I've lurked for a while picking up a lot of great information :)

The deck junction box is to prevent water flowing from the pool via the conduit to the breaker box and acts more like a siphon break between the two. Since water can flow out it and because of the design, you can't nor would want to put it on the wall.

As for your pump, you have 2 HP uprated pump which is the same as 1.5 HP full rated pump and one option to downsize is to replace the impeller, diffusor and motor to effectively get a new pump. However, it may not be cost effective to do if the wet end is not in very good condition. How old is the current pump?

But either way, replacing the whole pump or replacing parts, consider a two speed motor.

Just curious, what size is your filter and how often do you clean it?

You could just replace the motor with a 2 speed but downsizing wouldn't be a bad idea either. I currently run a 1/2 HP on a 20k pool so the smallest pump available is all you really need. You will have to be the judge of the wet end condition since you don't know the age. You don't want to spend a lot of money on parts to have the wet end start leaking. But usually the housing lasts the longest. If you go for a motor replacement, make sure you replace the seals as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't really help on specific models, but if you do go to a two speed pump be aware you will get into some wiring issues, how big of issues are hard to tell without knowing the specifics of your wiring set up. As to the question of sizing, and pump selection a lot depends on details of the plumbing set up (size and number of pipes, amount of head pressure, etc) as well as electrical considerations, the general suggestion of the economics of running a multi speed pump in low speed mode more hours per day assumes flat rate electrical metering, if you live in an area with a smart meter and multi-rate peak and off peak billing this should also be considered.

Ike

I actually have no idea how they bill... I assume there's no 'peak rates' - as it looks the same on the $/kwH.

Wiring isnt a biggie--I can redo whatever is needed there. Pipe size is 2" everywhere that's visible. that could change underground i guess?

first pic should show most/all plumbing that isnt hidden. Second shows distance to pool and pump level vs. pool.

poolstuff1.JPG

poolstuff3.JPG

Here's how ours bills, there's no peak/off peak its just before/after the first 1000/kWh vs. second. and nuclear vs. non nuclear. although I have no idea how they determine which I'm using.

Fuel: $x.xx
(First 1000 kWh at $0.039500)
(Over 1000 kWh at $0.049500)
Non-fuel: $x.xx
(First 1000 kWh at $0.047480)
(Over 1000 kWh at $0.057480)

To size the pump properly..........

Tell me more about the water feature that you have.

Do you have a spa or running solar?

What type of cleaner do you have?

Is there anything else where flow rate reduction could be a consideration?

water feature is just a little spring that comes out near the top of the tile that spills into the pool. I'd say its 24-36" long.

The SWG is present--the filter is as described. the vacuum is a hayward navigator.

You should be able to get an idea with this :

Dock-20100718-173607.jpg

Would you be ok with reducing the flow by 15% or so? It will reduce the look, sound and the extention some of the spillover unless you can redirect some of the water to get back the same look.

If so, the Pentair WFDS-3 or WFDS-24 are good two speed pumps and would be a better fit for your filter.

Flow to what, the waterfall thingy? it can practically shoot halfway across the pool if I open it all the way up, so it is reduced a bit right now.

My main concern is the ability to add solar in the future, the salt water generator, and flow to the jets. If i can keep that with either model up there--that would be great. Any recommendations on where to pick one up at a reasonable price, or what i should expect to pay (not sure if that is allowed here)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.