Pool light problem

Apr 12, 2011
My issue:
In my main panel box the pool light is ran off of a 20 amp breaker with gfci reset on it. The breaker itself has a red and blue wire leading from it with a white (neutral) going to the neutral bar in the panel box.
Where my switch is (behind the deep-end of the pool) there is a white,black and green(obviously ground). The issue is the red and blue wires are hot and I don't know why there is two hot wires to that switch. Can you please assist me? I have enclosed some pics that may help my description..

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can give me in this scenario. I'm just at a lost, I would think that there is only one hot lead going to the switch, I guess I'm wrong, I just don't understand.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide,

Attachments

• wiring.jpeg
    wiring.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 97
  • breaker.jpeg
    breaker.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 95
I can't see the pics very well. But I'm gathering that both the red and blue wires are run as a parallel feed? This is a way to provide the capacity of one bigger wire. I'm pretty sure that this violates code... Can you tell what gauge each wire is? I believe you want at least a 12 gauge wire for a 20 amp circuit, bigger depending on length of the run.

drharman1, the pictures are very small, so we are having trouble seeing how things are wired.

A circuit connected to a standard breaker has the white wire going to the neutral bus bar and the black wire going to the breaker.

A circuit connected to a GFI breaker has both the white and black wires going to two separate terminals on the breaker and a separate white wire coming out of the breaker and running to the neutral bus bar.

I can't see the picture very well, but my guess is that red and blue wires were used as the white and black wires for the light and everything is wired normally aside from the color of the wire. If I am right, one of red and blue wires is actually neutral and should be connected to the white wire coming from the light somewhere along the line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.