Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light problem

My issue:
    In my main panel box the pool light is ran off of a 20 amp breaker with gfci reset on it. The breaker itself has a red and blue wire leading from it with a white (neutral) going to the neutral bar in the panel box.
    Where my switch is (behind the deep-end of the pool) there is a white,black and green(obviously ground). The issue is the red and blue wires are hot and I don't know why there is two hot wires to that switch. Can you please assist me? I have enclosed some pics that may help my description..

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can give me in this scenario. I'm just at a lost, I would think that there is only one hot lead going to the switch, I guess I'm wrong, I just don't understand.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide,
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

San Diego, CA

Re: Pool light problem

I can't see the pics very well. But I'm gathering that both the red and blue wires are run as a parallel feed? This is a way to provide the capacity of one bigger wire. I'm pretty sure that this violates code... Can you tell what gauge each wire is? I believe you want at least a 12 gauge wire for a 20 amp circuit, bigger depending on length of the run.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

drharman1, the pictures are very small, so we are having trouble seeing how things are wired.

A circuit connected to a standard breaker has the white wire going to the neutral bus bar and the black wire going to the breaker.

A circuit connected to a GFI breaker has both the white and black wires going to two separate terminals on the breaker and a separate white wire coming out of the breaker and running to the neutral bus bar.

I can't see the picture very well, but my guess is that red and blue wires were used as the white and black wires for the light and everything is wired normally aside from the color of the wire. If I am right, one of red and blue wires is actually neutral and should be connected to the white wire coming from the light somewhere along the line.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

I think Jason has it correct. Looks like the red and blue are the hot and neutral from the gfci breaker. If you can post a larger pic we might be able to tell you which is which.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit