Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Film on pool skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Film on pool skimmer

I have just gotten my 24 ft intex up and running again and there is a film forming on my skimmer its has the color and feel of grease. Anyone have any ideas about what it may be?
    24x52intex 1hp DB pump & 75lb DB sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Film on pool skimmer

Welcome to TFP.

I've never heard of any grease on an Intex but it's possible that it's silicone lube from the parts. You can clean it off with a Magic Eraser.
    Also, tell us which pump, filter, etc you have.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a Doughboy 75lb sand filter and DB 1hp pump. Just put in a wall skimmer this year didnt notice the film last yr with over the wall skimmer.
    24x52intex 1hp DB pump & 75lb DB sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Chlorine will almost certainly break it down, whatever it is, but that may take a while. If it continues to accumulate you can use a skum bug or skum ball in the skimmer to collect the oily stuff before it accumulates on the walls.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School