Solar panels manufacturer comparison

Apr 12, 2011
We're thinking of having solar panels installed. We talked to 2 different companies. One carries Heliocol and Fafco. The other one carries only Solar Industries. Their quotes were almost the same but the total area of the Solar Industries panels would be a bit less because of the size of the panels and how many we can fit on the sunroom roof. I haven't been able to find any good site online that would give a comparison of various solar panel manufacturers. There are some sites that compare Heliocol and Fafco and all of them said that Heliocol is better. We liked the guy that carries Solar Industries panel but none of the sites that I've found that compared the solar panel manufacturers ever mentioned Solar Industries panels at all.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me. We are in Georgia so the panels would need to be able to withstand occasional freezing temperatures in winter time.

thanks,

Thanks for providing the comparison website, Dave. It's good for comparing the technical specifications. However, I would also like to get any feedback/comments from people who have actually had any of these panels installed and how well they held up. Which ones cracked and deteriorated more quickly? How good are the companies when it comes to servicing or replacing the panels that are still under warranty? Has anybody had the panels from Solar Industries? I can't seem to find anybody who has them. Most people have Heliocol, Fafco or some other brand. Even though Heliocol gets good reviews from pool owners, it looks like its BTU/sq. foot is lower than for the other two manufacturers which would matter to us since we only want to put the panels on the sunroom roof (16x27 low pitch) and not the main roof of the house.

thanks,

Heliocol and FAFCO are both well established companies. I believe you won't go wrong with either company, and likely the install will make more of a difference than the panel itself.

IMO the main difference is Heliocol's wind rating. Their lower BTU/Sq Ft is due to each "run" being an individual tube. That allows air to move around each tube instead of a whole panel sailing, allowing for enhanced wind load values and the by product is less roof penetrations to secure them. That air movement around the individual tube is also responsible for producing slightly less efficiency. If you don't live in a high wind area (I'm subject to hurricane force winds), then perhaps something as simple as warranty terms would make or break a sale.

I echo lbridges comments above. I had 400SF of Heliocol Panels on my first home; it was a 2 story single family home and I had no problems during the heavy hurricane season in FL during 2004. However, I did see some ceramic tile roofs stripped bare where solid panels once were; looked like the roof went away when the panels lifted off.

Good luck with your choice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.