SWG question

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys!! I'm a NOOB here. Bare with me!!

Having an in-ground pool installed in two weeks.

I've been around and around and around this site for a little bit now. I've tried different searches but can't find anything recent. I'm having a real hard time trying to decide between an Aquarite salt water system or a chlorinator & Ozone system. I'm sure this has been discussed here previously but I can't seem to find the right thread.

The pool is a:

-65000 liter (17000 USgal) nitrogenous resin panels reinforced with concrete.
-Hayward 1/2 TriStar pump
-Hayward Titanium heat pump (85000BTU)

I have two questions:

1. Originally I ordered this pool with an Aquarite salt water system. The salesman called me up and asked that I come back to the store. He told me that since I will be have uni-stone (or pavers) installed around the pool that he feels the salt water system wouldn't be a good choice. He claims that the repeated wet/dry (read: small kids in the pool) of the salt water would stain the pavers and would be costly to clean and/or seal. He proposed a 'puck' chlorinator system with ozone instead. He advises me that this 'better' system is quite a bit more expensive, but he will throw it in at no charge.(Kinda makes me wonder) Fast forward to now. Just about everybody I've spoken with completely disagrees with this change, including my neighbor who removed a very similar chlorinator & ozone system last summer for a salt water system. Is there any validity to these claims?

2. If the salt water poses a problem to the pavers, what is recommended? Sealer? I will have approx. 600sq ft of pavers around the pool area. Would like to have an idea of what to expect here!!

Thanks in advance for any help!! :-D

Welcome to TFP!

Salt is basically never an issue with pavers. Salt can cause issues with flagstone or other soft natural stones, but you never hear of problems with pavers. If there were "salt" stains, which I would only expect at much higher salt levels than used with SWGs, they would wash right off with a garden hose.

Ozone is not very helpful in an outdoor residential pool. Ozone is best for pools with a high bather load, like public pools, where high CC levels are constantly an issue. In an outdoor residential pool, CC is almost never an issue and so there is essentially nothing for ozone to do.

Trichlor pucks are convient, but they constantly add CYA. Eventually the CYA level gets too high and you start having problems. Very high rates of water replacement can mitigate this, but that is a waste of water in most situations and cancels out a lot of the convenience.

Lots of people here have SWG systems and love them, and AquaRite is one of the top brands.

Al - I too am somewhat of a noob. We finished our pool last July. I was missing a flow switch and did not start up my salt chlorinator for
about 4 months.
So I got a good taste of manually dosing with chlorine vs. the SWG.

I can tell you that the convenience factor alone is worth it. It's a very hands off operation. Periodic testing is all that's needed.

The folks on this site have not steered me wrong yet!

SF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.