"Low Flow on new Intex SWG install

bunedockmama

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2010
Hi everyone.

Just filled my AGP and installed a new Intex SWG yesterday with the help of a friend.

We turned on the SWG , set it for 5 hours timer and of course the low salt came on, then I realized we weren't supposed to have the salt generator running yet, so turned it off for 24 hrs.

Added 3 -40 LB bags of salt and 4 Cups of bleach. ( I know that wasn't much).

When I went out this am it was on "sleep Mode". Sounded like the pump was still running. So I put it back to FP=Filter Pump mode. Checked my readings and this is what they were:

FC= 0
PH= 7.5
TA= 260
TH OR CH?/ 270
CYA= 0
SALT= I DUNNO

Pool calculator recommended:
39 oz bleach= check done
7 1/2 oz borax= not done
42 oz by volume CYA= check done. Note I put it in a LARGE sock and hung it on the return to pool. That's when I noticed the flow in, didn't feel as strong as yesterday.

Then the alarm started sounding and red light say's 'Low Flow".
Shut it off, checked filter, a little dirty but not bad, so I put it back.

I took the sock of CYA out and kinda sorta dissolved it a 5 gallon bucket, it would take 3 weeks and I thought the sock would rot off before it dissolved. :shock:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this new setup but the alarm keeps going off after about 5 mins of running either in FP only or with the salt generator on.
't
I've had it turned off completely for 2 to 3 hours and it needs to circulate.

Hope someone can help me again. TIA

Should I have posted this in the SWG section? I didn't see it til after I posted this.

Or any chance the SWG is plumbed in backwards? There is a flow switch inside the SWG and unless it is being pushed up by water flow, you will continue to get the low flow error.

dmanb2b said:
When you turn the pump on, can you feel a healthy stream of water coming out of the return? It felt alot stronger yesterday, than it does today.

This sounds like a combo intex pump/filter/swg.
I believe that's correct?

I opened the valve from the suction side and let water poor on the ground to see if anything I was stuck at that end.

dmanb2b said:
Or any chance the SWG is plumbed in backwards? There is a flow switch inside the SWG and unless it is being pushed up by water flow, you will continue to get the low flow error.

There is something white thing flapping around iside the clear tube chamber, towards the return line, when the SWG is turned on, not when it's on. Is that what you are talking about? Sorry, I'm not very proficient in the terminology. Lol.

My Hubby told me to unplug it and see if it would reset, it hasn't gone off since, but there is water dripping from the ring on the filter unit. I don't think any vasoline was put on that ring. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for the help so far. :oops:

bunedockmama said:
I don't think any vasoline was put on that ring. Could that be the problem? :oops:

Just a quick aside as I can't help with the flow problem; don't use Vaseline on the o-rings. Petroleum based lubricants are likely to do damage to the material. Instead, use a silicone-based lube. You should be able to find this at your local pool store.

Gary

phalcon51 said:
bunedockmama said:
I don't think any vasoline was put on that ring. Could that be the problem? :oops:

Just a quick aside as I can't help with the flow problem; don't use Vaseline on the o-rings. Petroleum based lubricants are likely to do damage to the material. Instead, use a silicone-based lube. You should be able to find this at your local pool store.

Gary

Opps, too late gary, I put some on last night. I'll use the silicone lub. next time. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been using the CS8111 for 2 years. I've only had 4 things cause low flow indicator light. The most common is a dirty filter cartridge. This can be fixed by changing or cleaning the filter. Next would be a blockage, usually small leaves in the intake line. Unscrew the blue connector flange where the skimmer hose connects to the inside of the pool. Small leaves can get past the skimmer basket and get built up here. Next, (I would guess this is your problem) air in the pump and filter system. Turn off the pump. Then turn off the pump return and intake valves. Open the plug at the top of the pump and the plug at the top of the filter canister. Next reopen the intake and return valves. Wait until you have good water flow from the pump and filter plugs. Close the pump plug first, then the canister plug. Turn the pump back on. The pump should be pretty quiet with only the hum of the electric motor. If you hear a ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhssssssssing noise you've still got air in the system. Also loose plugs and hose connections can let air in the system. Make sure everything is tight. The only other thing I've seen that caused low flow involved the pool vac. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.