Help with creek water, please

whippoorwill

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I've been doing the BBB method for three years now and we've just replaced our vinyl liner. Since we live in an area without municipal water, we used water from our creek to fill the pool.

I've been shocking the pool and the chlorine is holding pretty well throughout the day, so I don't think I have algae. I took a sample to the pool store and they say no phosphates, no copper and no iron.

When the water was first added, it was cloudier and had a little more reddish tint (which I expect with all the red clay soils around here). The person at the pool store suggested adding Ekoclean and said the sand filter was not filtering the small particles that are making the water cloudy.

I did that, and it seemed to help a little, but now there's no progress for a few days. Now the water in the shallow end has a yellow hue and it gets more olive toward the deep end, like lake water.

Here are tonight's readings:

FC-10
CC-.5
pH-7.5
TA-80
CH-10
CYA-<20 (I'm still adding)
Temp-66

I'm attaching three photos so you can get a better idea of the colors I'm describing. Any ideas are most appreciated.

Greg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 101
The key is to keep it at shock level and for good measure you may want to perform the overnight FC loss test. Yes a sand filter may take longer to clear the murkiness (you can try adding some DE to the filter to assist a bit), but let's first confirm you are done shocking with the OFCLT :goodjob:

PS...very nice pool :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.