Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to remove significant calcium scale

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

How to remove significant calcium scale

My friends pool has developed a very rough surface over the past two years. I do not think he managed the chemicles well and maybe let the PH run too high as well as used unfiltered well water to top off on a regular basis. No agents were used.

Anyway he is now looking at draining, acid wash, and using the Aquaglide system to polish and remove the deposits
    http://www.aquaglide.com/aquaglide_machines.asp

Does this sound like a good solution -- ANY ideas would be appreciated.

This is a 30k gal plaster pool/grey that is about 5 years old.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to remove significant calcium scale

That looks exactly like This Pneumatic angle grinder if you atached a water hose and made the little "C" shaped shield for it.

From the grammar errors on that page I don't have a good feeling about the product.

I'd see what the acid wash did before I invested in the grinder.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It is basically an air driven angle grinder that they tapped for a water feed. What you need is the diamond grinding and polishing wheels.

Will acid wash alone remove CALCIUM?
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Acid alone is normally enough. Acid removes calcium just fine. You usually only need a grinder if the surface has become exceptionally uneven or you want a polished finish.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Re: How to remove significant calcium scale- help

Ok we did finally get to acid wash today - and it only removed about 50-60% of the scale and build-up. Never got to this last year so it's worse.

It's like 60 grit sandpaper on plaster. White crystal material. Even acid washing a couple of times is not going to remove this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Using enough acid will always take it off, but it may or may not leave the surface smooth.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Are there any other solutions. We worked with Acid a couple of times in the deep end and still have scale. I cant see acid washing this 1o times....
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I had tremendous amounts of calcium scale in my spill over tub that I hit with an ever increasing amount of acid. I started at like 10% plus water and believe it was about a 50 50 mix till it really had the calcium "foaming" when it got it. I also used a pumice blocks to scrub it, took serious amounts of elbow grease too. I am vigilant now to completely change out the water after tub/heater/bubbler use, I think that is what caused mine, water chemistry gone wild.

Good luck with all that.
    34k Gunite IGP, 8person attach spa, 4cart filter, 40k btu heater, , SWG, 3m marbelite finish, 12 panel fafco solar heater

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

We used a 50/50 mix and it bubbled then fizzed out. There is no way we could use a pummace stone as the entire 20 x 40 pool
    has a good coverage of scale build up...
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

To remove significant calcium scale from concrete pool with marbelite finish. Acid washing with muratic acid does not do the job. You have to grind the surface with an abrasive material to remove as much calcium as possible. We used hand grinders with flat discs (hard plastic type discs that will not gouge the pool surface). Then you apply a product called Grime Away by Tabex. They are a chemical manufacturer out of Calgary, AB. You spray on the chemical, it works well on vertical walls as it sticks to the surface, let it sit for a while until it starts to dry up a bit then scrub the surface with a stiff hand held brush/scrubber (the type with stiff plastic bristles). Then you wash it off. Re-do this until the calcium of all off. May take a few coatings depending on how much calcium is on the walls. This stuff works great. We had a pool with calcium all over it, real bad. It took 4 guys two days but we got it all off. Pool looks like new again. Seems like a lot of work, until you factor in what it would cost to re-marbelite the entire pool. Works out to a quarter of the cost.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Robcon Pools View Post
    To remove significant calcium scale from concrete pool with marbelite finish. Acid washing with muratic acid does not do the job. You have to grind the surface with an abrasive material to remove as much calcium as possible. We used hand grinders with flat discs (hard plastic type discs that will not gouge the pool surface). .
    What kind of pads do you use? I saw some from DRP that go up to 120 grit, is that enough?
    https://drptools.com/collections/poo...polishing-pads