Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Holding pieces of solar cover together?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Virginia

Holding pieces of solar cover together?

I just cut and installed my first floating solar cover on my pool. Because of the shape of my pool and the size of the solar covers, I ended up with 3 pieces. Two of them are very large and cover about 95% of the pool, the third is just a little sliver on one edge. A couple hours after I put them on the pool, the wind kicked up the edges that overlapped and flipped them over. I tired to hold them down with the pool brush and pool net, but those only worked in one small area.

I had a thought that if I could clip the different pieces together at the edges it would keep them from getting caught in the wind, but I wasn't sure what to use at clips. I had a few of those "binder clips" that you see in offices - - the black metal clip in a triangle shape with the silver metal "wings" that you use to pry open the clip. I used a couple of those clips on the parts of the edges and they seemed to work OK, but I wonder if there's something better to use.

I was thinking of a couple of (strong) magnets - one above and one below the overlapping layers, but they may be too heavy to float.

Does anyone any good and proven methods of keeping different pieces of a solar cover together?

700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Holding pieces of solar cover together?

The only problem with those "Gem" clips is that they're gonna rust really easily. Maybe some large plastic "chip" clips or plastic clothes pins. Your magnet idea might work too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Vero Beach, FL

Re: Holding pieces of solar cover together?

Chip clips usually have steel springs which will rust. You might find some that don't use springs.

Magnets will rust too.

What about velcro?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat