Pool Opening - Need Refresher

alanrmeadows

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2010
I started the BBB method halfway through the swimming season last year. I'm ready to open my pool for the first time using the methods utilized with this system. Do I need to go ahead and raise my CYA to mid-summer levels (40 or 50) and then shock until there is no overnight free chlorine loss? Or can I start shocking with low levels of CYA (10 or 20) and then raise it as we get closer to summer? If I remember correctly, I'll be using a lot less bleach if I shock at the lower CYA levels, but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for convenience.

Also, when opening the pool, do I need to test in any certain order? In other words, does pH need to be balanced before shocking for the first time? Is there an order I should follow?

Thanks,
Alan
Fiberglass
17,500 Gallons
Sand Filter
South Arkansas

If the water is clear and your chlorine doesn't all vanish instantly then there is no need to shock.

If you are shocking, you want CYA at least at 30 and there is no real harm in going straight to 50. You will need a bit more chlorine right at first, but you will end up adding additional chlorine fewer times and/or less chlorine each time, so it about cancels out.

Before shocking PH, TA, and CYA all need to be more or less alright. They don't need to be perfect. PH between 7.2 and 7.8. TA 50 or higher, CYA between 20 and 80. You can optimize things after you are done shocking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.