Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump stopped pumping

1. Back To Top    #1

pump stopped pumping

help turned on pump it was pumping good pool was almost empty thought i would check the plastic basket in pump went to turn it back on it come on but it would not pump water out
    16\32 30,000 gallon inground pool triton II sand filter 3 h.p pump hayward chrlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: pump stopped pumping

Does the pump hum or make any other noise? What kind of pump is it?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

its working its like it lost its prime
    16\32 30,000 gallon inground pool triton II sand filter 3 h.p pump hayward chrlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are using the pump to drain the pool and the pool is almost drained, then it will be difficult for the pump to regain prime once it is lost because of how high the pump has to pull the water up. How far below the pump is the water level?

5. Back To Top    #5

ur right the water level is at least 4 foot below the pump so i guess i will have to dip it out since pump wont pick it up

6. Back To Top    #6

The pump should be able to pull a prime from 4 feet down; it will just take a few minutes. Don't give it too long or it could overheat.

Why are you draining the pool?

How much water is left to drain?

7. Back To Top    #7

the pool hasnt been used in years and just bought the house wanted to start off fresh. still have about 4 foot left to drain out

8. Back To Top    #8

Central Valley, CA

If you've pumped that much, the mods here might be able to help you with a refill from here. Have you tested the water, specifically with a good test kit? Doesn't hurt to start partially fresh just because CYA was probably sky high. What is the pool surface?
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

9. Back To Top    #9

You have to be careful about draining a pool. A fiberglass or concrete pool can float and a liner can lose its set. You shouldn't do a full drain unless you're really sure that you know what to do.

10. Back To Top    #10
    North Las Vegas, NV

I just drained my plaster or concrete pool a few days ago. I didn't have any issues. However, I'm in Vegas so the water table really isn't a factor. I rented a submersible pump from home depot for about $30, ran the hose around to front of the house to the sewer clean out, dropped it in the pool, and just let it run. It emptied our 6300 gal pool in about 2 hours.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11
    SouthWest Alabama

Do you know how old the pump is?
    Where are you located?
    Are you only pulling water from the main drain?
    Is the skimmer valve shut tight?

Sorry for all the questions but that'll help us guess at possible causes.
    You're best bet might be the sump pump mentioned above.
    Also mentioned above is a good test kit and you'll want one of those. Now would be a good time to order it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12
    Silver Spring, MD

Many pumps have trouble priming from four+ feet down. I doubt that you will be able to prime it without filling the pool back up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School