ZeoSand Blowing through my returns after every baclwash!!

Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
In my commercial pool, the media in the sand filters was recently (2 months ago) replaced with Zeosand. Prior to this replacement, sand was blowing through my returns after every backwash and during normal filter mode. TONS of sand at each return. It ws deemed that a broken lateral was the cause for this. The laterals were all replaced in the filters and the Zeosand was added. (The old sand was removed and only Zeosand is in each filter).
The guys doing the job did not thoroughly backash the zeosand upon start up...they let it filter for a few hours and I went and gave each filter a thorough backwash until the waste water ran clear(not a pea soup color).
Ever since, the Zeosand blows back into the pool after every backwsh Its def not regular sand because it almost looks like kitty litter. THe amount blowing back in has not decreased, and when the guys came out to chek it, all of the laterals were ok in the filters.
What is the reason for this stuff to keep blowing back into the pool after every backwash? It does not blow into the pool during normal filter operation.

Thank you for your help,
Pool is 126,500 gallons

Re: ZeoSand Blowing through my returns after every baclwash!

Zeo tends to get crushed, especially when it is new. When it crushes it breaks up into smaller bits that can get through the laterals. Each backwash shakes things up and afterwards when things are running normally again the zeo bed packs down and crushes a little more of it. How much this happens depends on the size of the filter and the quality of the zeo. Large filters are worse and bad zeo is worse. The only things I know of that help are either replacing all of it with sand or waiting it out till the crushable bits have all crushed.

THank you, Jason for the quick reply,
I have 3. TR-140C filters....I am not sure of the brand of Zeosand that was put in, but, pretty much I just have to wait until all that will be crushed is crushed & blown out or just replace it with sand?

Thank you

I normally recommend against using zeo because of this exact kind of thing happening. Everyone I've worked with who had a problem ended up switching to sand. I have also spoken to a number of people who never had a problem in the first place, so it is possible for it to work out. Maybe there is someone around here who will have another solution, but I don't know of one.

JasonLion said:
I normally recommend against using zeo because of this exact kind of thing happening. Everyone I've worked with who had a problem ended up switching to sand. I have also spoken to a number of people who never had a problem in the first place, so it is possible for it to work out. Maybe there is someone around here who will have another solution, but I don't know of one.

I have never seen this problem on a Triton filter w/ zeo, and we have used a lot of it.

There may be a problem with the bleeder tube in the filter (possibly missing a screen and/or broken tube)>

After backwashing, are you rinsing?

Do you have one pump for all three filters?

If yes, what size pump do you have?

You should disassemble the backwash valves and inspect for damage. Clean and lubricate the gaskets.

You could use enough sand to cover the laterals a few inches and then use Zeosand for the rest.

Thank you for your help with this.
I do rinse after I backwash each filter.
I have 3 filters, each filter has its own Pentair Whisper-Flo 1.5hp pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.