Salt Level

Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Last Fall received the low salt indicator (flashing red). I ended up adding a bag and when finished the level was 3600 ppm.

Today (about six months later) received high salt indicator (flashing green). I tested again with my Taylor K-1766 and the level is 4000 ppm. I hate the thought of draining water. So, is it possible for the salt level to go up on its own?

The salt level does sometimes go up on it's own, especially if you have very low levels of water replacement, but only very slowly, not by that much. Technically it doesn't go up completely on it's own. Nearly every chemical you might add to the pool contains some salt, so it is actually coming from somewhere. But still, none of them contain enough salt to cause the kind of change you saw.

Far more likely your low salt reading last spring was wrong, and the salt hadn't gone down at that time. Then you added more salt and raised it too high. Many SWGs give a salt reading that is lower than actual when the water is cold.

Thought I would update this:

This morning I took the cell a part. There was a little salt built-up inside. I cleaned it up good and put it back together. After a few minutes the flashing green light went off.

Previously, I had cleaned the cell every three months, but will probably be looking at it every month for awhile now. I hope 4000 ppm will not do any harm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.