Newbie, about to use AA method

sgore

Apr 5, 2011
Spring, TX
Recently moved into the house, just now getting into the pool maintenance (service has been taking care of it to this point). There are (confirmed via Vitamin C test) iron stains on the sides and bottom of the pool. Water supply is fine, I suspect that the iron came from the galvanized hardware someone used on the Polaris. Had the Polaris rebuilt properly, and am about to start the AA treatment. Removed the chorine pucks from the skimmer basket (they won't be replaced) 3 days ago.

Tested the water thoroughly before starting, and I'm a bit confused by the current pool chemistry so I'd like more experienced eyes to backstop me:

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
pH 8.2+ (off the top of the scale)
T/A 130
CH 240
CYA 20

My confusion is with the pH and CYA level. WTH could be causing the elevated pH and will I probably need to add MA in addition to the AA? And why would the CYA be so low when chorine tablets are being used? I was shocked when my chlorine levels dropped to zero in 72 hours.

Using a TF-100 test kit and tested everything 3 times. (I'm new with pool testing but have extensive experience with testing procedures maintaining marine aquariums - my technique still seems adequate.)

Re: Newbie, about to us AA method

Welcome to TFP!

CYA sometimes disappears over the winter. If you started the season with CYA at zero, having at 20 now is very plausible.

Your TA is a little bit high, lots of rain combined with high TA can drive the PH up.

In any case you need to get the PH down to around 7.2 before starting the AA treatment.

Re: Newbie, about to us AA method

Thanks for the welcome JasonLion :)
JasonLion said:
CYA sometimes disappears over the winter. If you started the season with CYA at zero, having at 20 now is very plausible.
No idea what it started at, so we'll assume that's the case.

JasonLion said:
Your TA is a little bit high, lots of rain combined with high TA can drive the PH up.
Well.. we're in the middle of a drought. Rain can definitely be ruled out.

JasonLion said:
In any case you need to get the PH down to around 7.2 before starting the AA treatment.
So, MA first to get to 7.2, then start the AA treatment. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.