Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where, besides the pool store, can I get Muriatic Acid...?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where, besides the pool store, can I get Muriatic Acid...?

I read something about Lowes. Where in there would it be there? My local stores like that don't stock pool chemicals, not year round at least. Is the pool store my only option as pool stuff has been clearanced out at those kinds of stores now? My pH is high, about 8.2. The pool store is giving me some today as this is a new pool. For future reference though, where can it be purchased?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Paint section....Lowe's, HD, Hardware store
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much. Are there different strengths? I also just saw you are from Raleigh. We moved to AL from Cary, NC 3 years ago. We miss it very much, well all but the outrageous home prices!!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Yes. The normal strength is 31.45% muriatic acid. Some places sell 15.725% and occasionally you see it even weaker than that. Generally the higher strength is less expensive, ie half strength tends to cost more than half as much. However, lower strengths are easier to handle.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Duraleigh is correct. Muriatic Acid is also used to etch concrete prior to sealing. If you find Drylock, Thermoseal or another cement sealer at Home Depot, Lowes or local Hardware store, you should be able to find Muriatic Acid close by.

As mentioned this etches concrete, therefore, it should be handled with care for yourself and any concrete near the pool. Also note that some areas like NYC do not carry it at Home Depot (not sure about Lowes) anymore. Also not sure if it is a law or self imposed by Home Depot.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

6. Back To Top    #6
    In my area HD and Lowe's keep the muriatic acid outside (in the garden area) and not in the building.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

7. Back To Top    #7

In my area Ace Hardware has it and probably most hardware stores cary it as it is used for much more then swimming pools.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

8. Back To Top    #8

Interestingly enough, the pool store in my area has muriatic acid for about $2 a bottle cheaper than Lowe's or HD, so it's worth price checking.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!