Hi from the UK

jamesfr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2011
W.Sussex, UK
:wave:

Hi All,

Great site with lots & lots of info....

Just purchased a house with a IG pool - looking to learn lots as I know nothing about pools and water chemistry :hammer:

Off to read some threads as I want to covert it to SWC.

It could because we exported a large number of convicts to Oz and now we don't trust them to sell us their ideas :lol:
Seriously I don't know, I have met so many pool dealers and it's about the sale so they should be interested especially with the regulations on the transport of hazardous substances (negated by paying more) Then it begins to look more attractive with the cost of our fuel (8.42 dollars a gallon).
Early on, the SWG units seemed to be unreliable and I certainly visited more pools with salt chlorinators than direct dosing with problems but as the huge number of forum members on TFP will testify they do work especially if you adopt the regime on this forum. The more modern units have improved greatly and self clean with more stable switch mode power supplies although trying to find one with an amperometric sensor rather than REDOX is proving difficult.

At the trade shows there is always a high percentage of sellers pushing their UV products and respected names like Hanovia. Yet dealers without any real knowledge buy into these technologies without knowing it liberates cyanogen chloride which when I asked the companies directly was hushed away from any customers who may overhear my comments. Unless you have a special requirement you just don't need UV, the sun will be all the UV you need and more.

Hi James, there are two ways to sense the chlorine, traditionally REDOX the potential voltage in the water telling you chlorine is present measured in millivolts. This is pretty inaccurate as cyanuric acid amongst other things throws the reading out and when producing chlorine the system also produces gasses and these tell the sensor that the reading is going lower although it's actually going higher because you are making chlorine.

Amperometric sensors cost a lot more and are not affected by the gas production or cyanuric acid etc and measure an electric current across the water so giving a much more accurate reading. Why does that matter it saves run time on the unit so money on the replacement salt cell chamber.

As they say on this forum and should on many more Testing with a good test kit is still important even with these gizmo's

As for recommendations, not sure I am the best person to ask as the forum members on here have more experience than me with salt water generators (SWG) From my standpoint I look for switch mode power supplies as apposed to ordinary as they save around 40% of the electricty of a standard unit. I did like the look of the Pool Pilot as it's well thought out but the sole UK importer also sell their own branded units so as they have an exclusive deal with Pool Pilot they push their own units as they get a bigger markup and control the supply of Pool Pilot's in the UK, clever yes, but not an honest way to do business, I did email Pool Pilot but no response on that issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support