Focus temp heater repair

Aug 29, 2010
Hi,

I found a used Odyssey focus temp thermopump for sale that needs a repair. The guy says that it's five years old but he stopped using it 2.5 seasons ago when it started to leak water.
He says that the pool company came to his place and told him that someone must have stepped on the PVC piping that enters the unit because it's cracked and will have to be replaced.

He's selling as is. My questions are this.

Is it worth it to buy a unit like this that has a copper exchanger?
and
Is it difficult to replace the inlet and outlet portion of the pvc that you see that are cut short in the pic and do they have to be oem or can I just get some threaded pvc from a plumber shop? The pic from the inside makes it look like there just treaded on.

This company was bought out by waterco who still sells a similar unit. Does anyone know if it's a good one?

Sorry for all the question, but thanks for reading. : )

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 9.42.45 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 9.42.45 AM.png
    403.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 9.42.30 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 9.42.30 AM.png
    493 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 9.42.16 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-10 at 9.42.16 AM.png
    287.6 KB · Views: 72
If those are threaded nozzles then replacing the adapters is a piece of cake. However I'd be VERY leary of a unit that was removed from service just for a broken PVC adaptor. That sounds mighty suspisious to me.

Used pool heaters, especially with copper heat exchangers, are always very difficult to evaluate. There is no way of checking what kind of condition the copper is in, and little enough you can tell about the rest of the heater without installing it and trying it out.

Thanks for the help in deciding.

I think I'll go with the three year old Competition 50000 btu. It has a titanium exchanger and the lady has all the documentation about how old it is and such. The warrany card says 1 year, 5 years and 10 years but I'm sure it's not transferable.
At $800 it's not too bad if it needs a little TLC after a few years.

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.