Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Focus temp heater repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Focus temp heater repair

Hi,

I found a used Odyssey focus temp thermopump for sale that needs a repair. The guy says that it's five years old but he stopped using it 2.5 seasons ago when it started to leak water.
    He says that the pool company came to his place and told him that someone must have stepped on the PVC piping that enters the unit because it's cracked and will have to be replaced.

He's selling as is. My questions are this.

Is it worth it to buy a unit like this that has a copper exchanger?
    and
    Is it difficult to replace the inlet and outlet portion of the pvc that you see that are cut short in the pic and do they have to be oem or can I just get some threaded pvc from a plumber shop? The pic from the inside makes it look like there just treaded on.

This company was bought out by waterco who still sells a similar unit. Does anyone know if it's a good one?

Sorry for all the question, but thanks for reading. : )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Focus temp heater repair

If those are threaded nozzles then replacing the adapters is a piece of cake. However I'd be VERY leary of a unit that was removed from service just for a broken PVC adaptor. That sounds mighty suspisious to me.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

how much?
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

4. Back To Top    #4

$400

I also have the option of buying
    - a three year old competition titanium 50000 btu with titanium exchanger for $800 or
    -a two year old hayward 43000 btu for $1000
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.

5. Back To Top    #5

Used pool heaters, especially with copper heat exchangers, are always very difficult to evaluate. There is no way of checking what kind of condition the copper is in, and little enough you can tell about the rest of the heater without installing it and trying it out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help in deciding.

I think I'll go with the three year old Competition 50000 btu. It has a titanium exchanger and the lady has all the documentation about how old it is and such. The warrany card says 1 year, 5 years and 10 years but I'm sure it's not transferable.
    At $800 it's not too bad if it needs a little TLC after a few years.

Bruce

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay I've found a Summit 2.5t 50000btu for $1000, two years old. Titanium exchanger.

Is the fact that it has a piston compresser rather than a scroll a big deal in reliability?

Thanks