Need Dual Speed Pump Recomendation

Apr 9, 2011
Phoenix Arizona
I have a 11,000 gal pool, currently with a Hayward Super Pump 1.0 HP and 1.5 SF (about 8 yrs old).
It has 2" Piping an a Hayward C1750 Cartridge Filter currently running about 10 psi at the cartridge filter.
Also has a Hayward Navigator, and a Small Rock Waterfall

I am in the process of converting to Salt water with a Compupool CPSC 36 which is not installed yet.
and looking to upgrade the pump. Definitely thinking of a two speed pump energy efficient pump. I think I need two speed so I can run the salt cell long enough without filtering the pool

I was thinking of a 3/4 Pentair WFDS-3, however that pump is only 115v and they recommend 12 gauge wire for a 100' run, which I only have 14 gauge wire there now.

So I started looking at the 230 volt models and am thinking of the WFDS-4 SFHP 1.65 or the
Or a Pentair SuperFlo (SF-N2-1A) SFHP = 1.25. These two pumps have almost identical curves. and the SuperFlo is about $200 less.

So what should I do? SuperFlo, WhisperFlo WFDS-3, WFDS-4 Or something else (it does not have to be pentair)

Also, does anyone know why the WhisperFlo is $200 more than the SuperFlo (they look the same to me)?

The whisperflo is a little more efficient then the superflo.

If you look at the curves you will see the difference
Superflo =
~ 30gpm at 10 feet of head on low
~ 38gpm at 60 feet of head on high.
Whisperflo =
~ 50gpm at 10 feet of head on low
~ 78gpm at 60 feet of head on high
So you see the reason for the price difference.

The Superflo is a smaller pump than the Whisperflo (1.25 THP vs 1.65 THP) so the head curve will be slightly lower for the Superflo and slightly more energy efficient as well. THe WFDS-3 is more comparable to the Superflo and is more efficient as well.

I am not sure what I was looking at yesterday, However now I see the Whisperflo definitely has a better head curve then the superflo. Since I really don't need more GPM (I think the Hayward SuperPump 1.5 THP is probably very similar to the Superflow energy efficent 1.25 THP. I am leaning towards the Superflo

Is there any other feature I am missing like pump longevitiy or better build in the Whisperflo?

The WhisperFlo line moves more water per watt of electricity than the other pumps you are talking about. You can get the same water flow you are used to by moving to the next smaller size of WhisperFlo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.