Do I raise cya or shock first?

May 15, 2010
El Dorado, AR
Hey friends, starting the pool up and needed help with the order of doing things. I know I already have an algae problem (not too bad) but when I tested I realized the cya is probably 0. Here are the numbers.
FC 0
TA 120
CH 100
Ph 7.9
CYA 0

So, do I start shocking tonight with bleach or do I need to raise the cya first? I have seen on some posts that if I use dichlor it will raise chlorine and cya at same time. I have never used that before, only bleach. Is it something available at Wal mart or just pool stores? I have the bleach ready to go. Also, because of the algae, I am sure I will be backwashing often and thought that was a no-no when you had added chemicals for cya. Just a little confused. I appreciate the help!

You want to either add some CYA first, or at the same time. Without any CYA in the water you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight during the day, and have way less to fight algae with.

You can add CYA by putting it in a sock and hanging the sock in front of a return, and still be able to backwash the filter.

Dichlor is another way to add both chlorine and CYA at the same time. Most places that sell pool chemicals have dichlor as one of several kinds of "shock". Check the ingredients and look for Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetirone or Sodium dichloroisocyanurate.

No dichlor at wally world. Bought stabilizer, put it in sock, and in the skimmer. Added my bleach with a target of 10. Tested hour later and the FC was 5. Added more bleach and now going to bed and get ready to babysit the water till the algae is gone! Fun times a coming! No worries, I have cleared that water once with TFP and I know I can do it again!! :) I just love you guys!

Reactions: Ignoramus
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.