I have a leak......

bdodds

Dec 28, 2009
Columbia, SC
I just found out that I have a leak at the valve but I am not sure just what part this is called or how to fix it. I will try to see if I can get the picture to post....I am new to all this.
Thanks,
Betsy

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 152
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 152
That is a multi-port valve, sometimes called the main valve. Black body, white cover, black handle.

I can't be sure what I am seeing in the pictures, where is water leaking out from? Is it leaking from that round opening on the side? That appears to be the waste port, the post water come out of when you are backwashing the filter. Leaks from there are almost always caused by a bad spider gasket. You can fix that yourself if you are at all handy.

This picture may help a little better. The round thing that is leaking looks like maybe you could have had the backwash line ran from this side but I could be wrong. How do I fix this?

Attachments

• pool photo.jpg
    pool photo.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 138
That looks like the waste port. You use it to vacuum to waste. When you vacuum to waste you are by-passing the filter. Usually it is used when you are clearing a pool full of algae debris or if you need to lower the water level quickly.

You can probably fix the leak by replacing the spider gasket, or you can buy a plug for that port when it is not in use if you can't get it fixed right away. You don't want to wait too long to get it repaired. The spider gasket will continue to deteriorate over time.

Re: I have a leak......AGAIN!!

We replaced the spider gasket last year and still had the leak. We had to have our liner replaced so I showed the leak to the pool guy who put some silicone sealant on it. I noticed today that its leaking again. Do they make a plug for this port? It looks like it has a plug or cover on it now but its leaking where it comes together.

That valve is designed for a lot of configurations and they just knock out the molded in plug on the ports they want to use.

That's actually the "bottom" side port that's leaking and I bet the molded in plug has cracked. You can just screw a PVC threaded plug in the port sealed with t-tape or teflon paste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.