Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter question

I am struggling with a couple of questions about a new filter. If anyone can guide me I'd appreciate it. We currently have a 24" Hayward sand filter and am leaning towards replacing it, probably with another Hayward. I know bigger is better (within reason) as far as the filter goes and am thinking about moving up to a 27" but don't know if it's a good match to our system. We have a 1 HP, single speed Pentair Superflow pump and all the above ground plumbing is 1.5" - I wouldn't think there's any reason to assume that changes once underground. Our pump/filter is 30-40 feet away from the 19x42 inground pool. No main drain, two skimmers, two returns, no water features. Pool cleaned by robot - so don't use the suction/filter. Will stepping up to a 27" filter be a problem? Is there a better size? I'd like to get the new system set up to only run 8-12 hours a day if that would do the job. Also looking to add a SWG along with this filter replacement, possibly an AutoPilot DIG-42.

Thanks for any opinions!
    19x43 Inground Vinyl Pool, approx 22 years old, no main drain, 2 (lopsided!) skimmers, 2 returns.
    1 HP Pentair Superflow Pump
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter question

A 27" will be just fine with your setup as long as there is room on the equipment pad. You could even go a little larger if you wanted to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand filter question

Thanks, Jason! That's what I was hoping to hear - was just a little leary that my 1.5" pipes might be a problem. I think we're going to redo the whole pad while making these changes, so I'll have as much room as I want!
    19x43 Inground Vinyl Pool, approx 22 years old, no main drain, 2 (lopsided!) skimmers, 2 returns.
    1 HP Pentair Superflow Pump
    27" Hayward Sand Filter
    AutoPilot SWCG
    Aquabot T-4 Cleaner