I'm thinking about a diffrent system to heat pool

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
I only have 4 months out of the year when the water is too cold to enjoy.I can't really afford to install and operate a conventional heater so.....I was thinking.

Along the lines of radiant floor heat where tubing is zigzagged under the floor of a house and hot water from a boiler is circulated through to keep the room comfortable.

I thought maybe I could do something similar using irrigation tubing..buried about 6" under the soil....maybe just left in a coil....or fanning the tubing out like pushing on a slinky....bury it and let the constant warmth of the sun heat the water in the tubing.I'd set up a bypass valve so I could stop that water from circulating when the water is already warm enough.

Now I just have to figure out a wayto cool the water in the heat of summer here in southwest florida without having to continuosly freeze water jugs and toss them in when pool water is over 85.

You would never get enough heat transfer to raise the temperature much at all. To raise 9000 gallons of water 10 degrees, it will take nearly 750,000 BTU. You wouldnt get a tenth that much, if that, using any sort of radiant heat like you described. In your area, solar heat might be a good option. It costs a bit for the initial install, but after that the operational cost is minimal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.