Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm thinking about a diffrent system to heat pool

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm thinking about a diffrent system to heat pool

I only have 4 months out of the year when the water is too cold to enjoy.I can't really afford to install and operate a conventional heater so.....I was thinking.

Along the lines of radiant floor heat where tubing is zigzagged under the floor of a house and hot water from a boiler is circulated through to keep the room comfortable.

I thought maybe I could do something similar using irrigation tubing..buried about 6" under the soil....maybe just left in a coil....or fanning the tubing out like pushing on a slinky....bury it and let the constant warmth of the sun heat the water in the tubing.I'd set up a bypass valve so I could stop that water from circulating when the water is already warm enough.

Now I just have to figure out a wayto cool the water in the heat of summer here in southwest florida without having to continuosly freeze water jugs and toss them in when pool water is over 85.
    11000 gal L shaped gunite pool with and aggragate plaster
    Pentair cartridge filtration with 1.5 hp pump
    only have 3 returns and one dedicated vacuum line
    manifold to pump is three valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Massachusetts

Re: I'm thinking about a diffrent system to heat pool

You would never get enough heat transfer to raise the temperature much at all. To raise 9000 gallons of water 10 degrees, it will take nearly 750,000 BTU. You wouldnt get a tenth that much, if that, using any sort of radiant heat like you described. In your area, solar heat might be a good option. It costs a bit for the initial install, but after that the operational cost is minimal.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: I'm thinking about a diffrent system to heat pool

Solar panels can both heat and cool. If you run them during the day they heat and if you run them at night they cool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School