Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plug the second hole on the bottom of the skimmer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plug the second hole on the bottom of the skimmer?

I'm plumbing separate lines from main drain and skimmer.
    Would you recommend that I just plug the second hole on the bottom of the skimmer, or is the equalizer a good idea?
    I assume that I will almost always be drawing from both the mains and the skimmer.
    My pump elevation will be slightly lower than the skimmer level.

Thanks, John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plug the second hole on the bottom of the skimmer?

The ideal situation is to have a single pipe going from the skimmer to the equipment pad and a single pipe going from the main drain(s) to the equipment pad and no second hole in the skimmer. The key thing to avoid is to not plug a pipe that you don't have any other connection to.

An equalizer line can be helpful if you don't have a main drain and you can't run a separate pipe back to the equipment pad. Some builders plumb the main drain into the skimmer just to save money even though it is a a rather bad idea to do that. If you are in that situation having the main drain come up there is better than not having any connection to the main drain.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just another thought for the second hole. Plumb in a reserve skimmer line, plug it at the skimmer and stub up and cap the other end at the pad. If anything ever happens to the main skimmer line, you'll have it's replacement ready to connect to the pump
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Many skimmers have two different size ports, usually 1.5 and 2 inches.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.