Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pics of......not really sure?!? And #'s after partial drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Pics of......not really sure?!? And #'s after partial drain

Couple of things going on here. Had an algae outbreak, noticeable mostly on the eroding areas of the marcite, as seen here:[attachment=2:37rb04en]Pictures 415.jpg[/attachment:37rb04en]
    I thought I was putting enough chlorine in to take care of it, but took a water sample to the pool store and found that my CYA was waaay high. Here are those numbers:
    FC 0.0
    pH 7.4
    TA 80
    CH 415
    CYA 110
    TDS 1400

I then proceeded with a partial drain, about a foot, and refill. I then shocked night before last with about one and a half gallons of liquid chlorine (per Pool Calc, FC of 21). Then last night I added another half gallon for good measure (No, I don't have a TF-100 kit. Yet.). Here are the numbers from this morning:
    FC 5.0
    pH 8.0
    TA 125
    CH 335
    CYA 60
    TDS 1500

So it looks like the partial drain did some good, and the ugly spots from the pic above are looking much better, but as I was checking the chlorine level tonight (which, by the way, reads well over 5.0 on my cheapie generic kit from the pool store??) I noticed, thanks to the light in the pool, that there are a bazillion little particles circulating in the water. Here a few pics, I don't know if you can make out any of them:[attachment=1:37rb04en]pool pics 003.jpg[/attachment:37rb04en][attachment=0:37rb04en]pool pics 006.jpg[/attachment:37rb04en]
    Can anyone tell me what that is? Dead algae? I've been running the filter non-stop since the refill, and I have both the skimmer and the main drain running, so I would have thought there wouldn't be so much "stuff" in the water. Funny part is, the water looks great in the sunlight!

Sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate any and all help and advice. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Freeform marcite IG, approx 8000 gal, 1 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pics of......not really sure?!? And #'s after partial d

Yes, that is mostly dead algae. It is always easier to see things floating in the water at night in front of the pool light. Likely you will still see things, though not nearly as many, when the water is totally crystal clear during the day.

It will take the filter several days to completely clear up the water, longer if it is a sand filter, even after the algae is all dead.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Whew! Okay, thanks Jason, I was hoping that would be the answer! I'll just keep cleaning the filter daily and hang in there!
    Freeform marcite IG, approx 8000 gal, 1 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

You shouldn't need to clean out the filter every day. Your pool isn't particularly dirty - it's just got an algae issue. Keep the chlorine up there (24ppm for CYA 60) and the pool will clear. I'd only clean the filter when the pressure has risen enough to need it .

I know you know - but a test kit will make your life a lot easier. You can try cutting your pool water 3 parts tap water to 1 part pool water and using your current tester. If you are still reading "5" you can figure you are somewhere close to 20. There'll be a huge margin of error - but it's better than a straight guess......
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

That little white floaty stuff looks like the daily accumulation of pollen I have down here. Looks like tree dandruff!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

The only trees around me are palms, and the pool is screened in. Not to say that crud can't get through though!